Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

Geese

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Jon C, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

We use black/brown socks filled with sand and kept in the pit in buckets under the seats. Not enough windy days for me to lug heavy BF feet the rest of the time. Only use socks when needed; however, really big winds will take them down.

Jon C likes this.
  2. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

It's been good. Ready for the warm up, and the specks that will come along with it!

3. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Last 2 day in the Northern Zone were good, some big numbers of birds came back.

4. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

These geese are smart..The geese in town have been hitting the same field for 2 weeks straight. The field is in city limits and they don't even swing out of town at all..All they do is get up off the sewage treatment plant fly over the fence and go down in this field. I work close enough to see the field and it was loaded this morning when I looked and I drive by every night hoping they finally eat the field out. Its torture watching them everyday waiting for them to finally fly out of town so they are actually huntable

5. BJH

BJH Senior Refuge Member

Jon C-Sounds like we live in the same town!!! I bet a lot are a like! And when they do get out of town, it's 2 minutes til the end of legal shooting time or all the locals are lining up on the road to watch the geese work!!!

6. Jon C

BJH..for sure...when they were flying out it was at last light usually had geese locking up while we were picking up..these birds drive me nuts

7. BJH

BJH Senior Refuge Member

Yea, ley go over my house to feed. I've hunted them in the field on the other side of the road, outside city limits. My neighbor can't believe I haven't shot some in al these years flying over! (They were used to hearing an occasional test shot in the back yard or coon control!) I told them, O' I could hit them, but my luck they would go thru their roof when they fell!!!

8. Jon C

Aw..they are the devil..I'm sure Feb. 1st they will start flying out of town again

9. Jon C

I'm thinking of buying a coyote Decoy and putting it out in the field

10. Avian Thunder II

Avian Thunder II Elite Refuge Member

get 2 empty plastic cat litter jugs (about 3.5 gal each for size); keep the lids on them so they can't collapse under force, and stop on the edge of the road next to the field BEFORE the first geese arrive. When birds arrive, slam the 2 containers together with as much force as you can muster and watch them possibly slide off the field and go somewhere else. It's worth a try. I assure you the containers will make some great gun-report-type noise.