Generator advise

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by DGW706T, Dec 31, 2017.

1. DGW706T

DGW706T Senior Refuge Member

Looking to get generator to run ice eater need to be able to add external fuel tank to run for extend hours any suggestions .

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

How many watts do you need? Are there portability issues? You can't go wrong with Honda. That said, if noise/weight are not issues, there are cheaper brands (Genrac, etc.).

3. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Honda EU2000i with extended tank. Portable and very quiet. Will run for many hours when in eco mode.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

The Feds need to make illegal eaters and pumping to keep water open.

5. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

:scratch

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Unfair chase

7. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

It depends on whether you want to run it while hunting. I bought a Cabelas generator and use a 12.5 gallon tank. It will run 2 days on that tank but it is too noisy to run while hunting. I don't like the extender tank for the Honda. The Honda uses a fuel pump and sucks the fuel out of the extender tank as it consumes the fuel in the main tank. I don't think there is a way to verify the extender is feeding until you return the next morning. If I'm wrong on this maybe someone can explain.

8. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

It will pull the fuel out of the tank as long as the gas cap on the generator is tight. If it didn't suck the fuel out you would need to have an elevated tank hooked into the fuel line. You are correct there is no good way to verify it is pulling off the extended tank. We have run this type set up for several years with no issues. Just have to make sure the cap is tight or it will not draw.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

If weight isn't an issue, get an electric start inverter-style. Even the Honda 2000 (which is a fantastic genset) is hard to start when it's frigid outside. It took me several minutes of pulling a few years ago to get one going when it was about 8-9* outside. It did finally fire up, but by that time I was about to blow an artery. I have a Champion 3100 with elec start (and remote start) that makes it easy now. Honda, Yamaha, etc all have electric start models now, I think, in the 3000W range. I have no idea how much power an ice eater consumes. We use them for the campers. I get 23 amps from the 3100.

10. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Tell me about the remote start. I need a generator I can start with my cell phone.