Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Generator advise

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by DGW706T, Dec 31, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Something CAN be developed (which has been said already). All it takes is some redneck ingenuity and money. Plenty of folks with that.

@Timber Hole; you don't need audio. You need a "heartbeat" monitor to occasionally sense if the plug is still firing (your app would have a heartbeat of "green" or "red"). You'd save a lot of data that way. My genset has an auto choke for electric start, and a push-button choke for manual start. If I were willing to put in the money and effort, my genset could do what we are discussing, but I'd have to be willing to buy/create a board to do those things I want it to do, and wire it all up. I'd also have to buy a data plan from a cellular company, and add a 4G (or 3G if I wanted to save a small amount of money) TX/RX'er to that board. Then you gotta keep this board weatherproof, etc. It'd get expensive quick, but yes, it could absolutely be done. Now, if ya wanted to get fancy, you'd need to add a fuel gauge to your app. :tu

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Fuel gauge might be one of the easier items to do. Either a little prox type detector for fuel level or a float switch with a potentiometer. Inputs to the plc, outputs to your phone.

Temp sensor will tell you if it is running or not.

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Now you guys are talking. Obviously not my area of expertise. I think the data is simple and cheap. I'm pretty certain the guys in the link I provided use a burner card. Maybe $20.00 or $30.00 a year. I'm going to keep thinking about this.............

And also my idea to run a wire up the highway :D

4. Timber Hole

One more thing. Once you know your rate of fuel consumption a clock is the best fuel gauge. In the interest of simplicity, set your fuel capacity, input your rate of consumption and let the app do the math and display a gauge. No sensors required and very accurate.

5. stevena198301

I was envisioning a float switch setup, personally.

6. stevena198301

That could work, if you left it out of eco-mode. My RPMs vary (so the consumption would vary) depending on load, temp, etc. in eco-mode, but it burns a lot less fuel overall. I get about 12-14 hours out of a tank on eco. That is with the built in tank and a low(ish) load.

To those with an ice-eater, how much amperage does your model draw? 7-10 amps per? I could run 7 amps in eco at a low idle, I think. I could also power 3 of them at 7 amps with my setup, so long as the genset was close.

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Why not simply dump blue Rit dye on the pond ice and call it good?

Then, you could have the tripod-mounted, remote controlled, belt-fed BGH blast the little buggers when they land on the ice, followed up with the robotic vacuum to sweep their little carcasses to the blind. All from the warmth and comfort of your man-cave.

Timber Hole and stevena198301 like this.
  8. stevena198301

Remote controlled hunting is illegal in my state. :nutz

9. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

It only is when you're caught! ;)

10. Timber Hole

Because if my wife got ahold of the remote control I'd end up with blue ducks vacuuming my man-cave...........otherwise a pretty good idea ;)