German Wiredhaired Pointer —the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Arrieta, Feb 7, 2018.

1. MAKAIRA

MAKAIRA Elite Refuge Member

A friend might be having a Drahthaar litter coming up.He has the female who is pretty amazing.

2. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

The fighting only happens when my dad borrows her. I have hunted her with and around other dogs quite a bit and it hasn’t been an issue with me. It’s not because I stop it before it gets too far, the issue never even starts when I’m around. I don’t know if the dog just gets a little nervous when I’m not there or what? Apparently, it happens every time I’m not there and it isn’t just a little growling and nipping (more like she is trying to kill the other dog). I told my dad that he should come by and work with her 1 or 2 days a week and maybe she’d be more comfortable with him and the fighting would stop.

3. carsonsig

carsonsig Senior Refuge Member

Did someone just use the words Mr. and Bennet in the same sentence? ***

4. Arrieta

Arrieta Senior Refuge Member

If this is something that is going to happen, please send me the details!

In my limited experience working with dogs, fighting is usually "fear" based aggression in which the aggressor is usually thinking "I'm gonna get that guy before he gets me." The more a dog gets tangled up with another dog, the more the need for aggression is re-enforced. It's kinda like when a dog breaks on a retrieve --through experience, the dog begins to anticipate what is probably going to happen nest and then accelerates through the scenario. It's a stronger characteristic in dogs with lots of prey drive.

My guess is that when you are present, your dog recognizes you as the pack leader and feels safe. When your dad takes the dog out however, I'm guessing that your dog sees the experience more as "just the rest of the pack" hangin-out and having a good time. Because your not there to ensure her safety, she gets nervous when other dogs are around and decides "I gotta watch myself and get them before I get hammered." No knock on your dad, but it sounds like he might not be real good on reading a dog and might be giving your pup too much free reign and allowing her to get into sticky situations with other dogs that end in a fight. I agree with you... having your dad work the dog on some basic obedience, keeping the dog on a short leasing in the parking lots, and hunting the dog away from other dogs would probably fix the issue.

Ha!

5. chubby

chubby Senior Refuge Member

Vada&duck.jpg

Her first year.

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Kevin be truthful. It is more like anything with fur should be careful with a drahthaar around. I was afraid to take a leak around Rascal. My boys are still traumatized from Rascal killing that raccoon when they were little when we were working on the blind. :sp:l

BangingBirds likes this.
  7. chubby

chubby Senior Refuge Member

Not good with cats, baby lambs or goats, raccoons, opossum and anything else with fur that runs. Don't get
    me wrong they are great dogs. The one I had was a natural born killer. Great with kids and other dogs.

drahthaarducker and BangingBirds like this.
  8. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Yeah I was a little concerned that day also until they started cheering the dog on at the top of their lungs and shaking the blind. A couple of little savages as I recall. Now that dog hated raccoons. He was good at killing them.

Here is a list of Drahthaar breeders.

http://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders/

9. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Bo Waller, Von Cabin Creek in CA is a good guy with good dogs

Shane Loveland, Von Wasatch out of Utah has great dogs

Paul Trout Von Orion in Idaho has fantastic dogs.

Those would be the only breeders I personally would consider.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Johnny Ringo likes this.
  10. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

This echoes my thoughts on the matter. Hopefully with my dad working with her in a more controlled environment she will eventually come to view him as a stand-in for me when I'm not there.