Gettin' all my crap together for the season...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Jan 5, 2003
    Fresno, California
    I am a duck hunter... I really enjoy upland hunting, and clay shooting, but duck hunting is my passion... Each year as duck season approaches, I sort of grimace inwardly though. All that stuff I have to get ready...

Bags, chokes, sorting ammo (that I should have done earlier), putting all the calls back on the lanyards... Re-cleaning all the decoys, putting new cords and anchors... Etc., etc... I find no joy in it… And although I go off my list, I just know I am forgetting something of vital importance (and I usually I am correct).

But getting ready for turkey hunting is half the fun... Deciding what new diaphragm calls I am going to try... Coming up with new tactics that I am certain will be successful (which generally are not)... Taking out my 2 decoys :nutz (that I probably will not even use)...

Organizing the vest, and putting all my little toys in there is just plain fun…

This year I just got a new box call that I am excited to use... I gave up on box calls for a while, but have come to re-appreciate them... No other call in the vest that is easier to make such a realistic turkey sound... I have picked out hunters plenty of times using a mouth call immediately... Been a few turkeys I thought might be guys on a box call though.

Next week I am taking my two girls up to the foothills to scout some property I have access to, and I am hoping with two cute little girls in tag, I might be able to acquire some more access… Two cute little girls smiling and waving in the back seat at the land-owner as I stop to ask permission will NOT hurt my chances.:no
  2. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

Apr 18, 2002
    North Central IL. Bureau Co.
    Organized my things to not to long ago.
    April 16th Starts my few days in IL.
    Good Luck this Spring and getting more access w/ the girls!!
  3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Apr 11, 2006
    South Carolina
    Sure sounds like you have the right "set-up" strategy .. for next weekend hunt :grvn:l
  4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Apr 8, 2011
    We start next weekend in the central zone...scouted yesterday and found some big tom tracks. Finally heard one lone gobble while I was having breakfast. It was youth hunt weekend and a young boy checked out a nice 18# bird, big for an Osceola. I've been perusing my list a number of times, trying to simplify and minimize things and keep the weight down. Tough when you want the versatility of an orchestra.:joker
  5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2015
    HSV, Alabama
    Our season starts TOMORROW!!!!!! Got everything bought, organized, and packed in the truck. I'm leaving work, and headed to a hotel to spend the night near some private land I'm gonna hunt. Taking my father-in-law. Hope he gets one. If two walk out, I'll shoot the second one. Went there yesterday and saw 3 longbeards with 9 hens, then one longbeard with 7 hens within 300 yards of where we are planning to hunt. Should be at least an exciting morning.