Gettin' all my crap together for the season...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am a duck hunter... I really enjoy upland hunting, and clay shooting, but duck hunting is my passion... Each year as duck season approaches, I sort of grimace inwardly though. All that stuff I have to get ready...

Bags, chokes, sorting ammo (that I should have done earlier), putting all the calls back on the lanyards... Re-cleaning all the decoys, putting new cords and anchors... Etc., etc... I find no joy in it… And although I go off my list, I just know I am forgetting something of vital importance (and I usually I am correct).

But getting ready for turkey hunting is half the fun... Deciding what new diaphragm calls I am going to try... Coming up with new tactics that I am certain will be successful (which generally are not)... Taking out my 2 decoys :nutz (that I probably will not even use)...

Organizing the vest, and putting all my little toys in there is just plain fun…

This year I just got a new box call that I am excited to use... I gave up on box calls for a while, but have come to re-appreciate them... No other call in the vest that is easier to make such a realistic turkey sound... I have picked out hunters plenty of times using a mouth call immediately... Been a few turkeys I thought might be guys on a box call though.

Next week I am taking my two girls up to the foothills to scout some property I have access to, and I am hoping with two cute little girls in tag, I might be able to acquire some more access… Two cute little girls smiling and waving in the back seat at the land-owner as I stop to ask permission will NOT hurt my chances.:no

2. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

Organized my things to not to long ago.
    April 16th Starts my few days in IL.
    Good Luck this Spring and getting more access w/ the girls!!

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Sure sounds like you have the right "set-up" strategy .. for next weekend hunt :grvn:l

4. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

We start next weekend in the central zone...scouted yesterday and found some big tom tracks. Finally heard one lone gobble while I was having breakfast. It was youth hunt weekend and a young boy checked out a nice 18# bird, big for an Osceola. I've been perusing my list a number of times, trying to simplify and minimize things and keep the weight down. Tough when you want the versatility of an orchestra.:joker

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Our season starts TOMORROW!!!!!! Got everything bought, organized, and packed in the truck. I'm leaving work, and headed to a hotel to spend the night near some private land I'm gonna hunt. Taking my father-in-law. Hope he gets one. If two walk out, I'll shoot the second one. Went there yesterday and saw 3 longbeards with 9 hens, then one longbeard with 7 hens within 300 yards of where we are planning to hunt. Should be at least an exciting morning.