getting a gal into shooting?

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Squaller, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Well,

I have a girlfriend that I am trying to introduce into hunting and shotgun shooting... I am really hoping that she develops some interest in the sport, but I am not trying to push her too hard.

She does not seem to have difficulty with the recoil, but her shoulder hurts from holding and mounting the gun... Also her shooting posture could use some improvement. She has done some pistol shooting, and has absolutely no flinch! She has asked if she could use my .45 cal for duck hunting:D

She will be shooting a Beretta youth semi auto (hopefully the combo of light-weight and low recoil)...

Does anybody out there remember being a bit hesitant to start shooting? Any pointers or advice from a woman's perspective??? Any advice to make it more fun and less painful for her to get into the sport....

Thanx,

Marc

2. brantboy2

brantboy2 Elite Refuge Member

Marc,

I've got my 12 yr old daugther into shooting by taking her out and pulling the
    birds by ourselves and letting her shoot and then later on I took her to the skeet range. But I think that we all start out not really knowing how to properly mount a gun. Also, is your youth semi auto a 20 ga? that's what my daughter has been shooting. Saw the flyfishing avatar...i was out in Burney, Ca and fished Hat Creek while on a business trip and even stopped by the flyshop.

Ron

3. Squaller

It is a 20 ga... Her main concern is not the recoil, but the weight of the gun (shoulder problems). I really want to make it fun, and not a chore for her though.

I have been up to the Fall River, and Hat Creek. I really could have skipped Hat Creek though. The Fall River is such a nice spring Creek, and we got um on PMD's and caddis pupae... Gorgous, hard fighting fish....

4. twentygauge_wonder

twentygauge_wonder Senior Refuge Member

It sounds like you've got all the right ideas. I started skeet shooting at 15 and had problems with recoil and shoulder bruising / pain. My dad would just have me shoot one set and we'd call it a day. I used his old 20 gauge and the .410 for awhile. Now I have my own gun that fits me (I'm pretty "petite") so no more problems in that department!

Best of luck to you and your girlfriend... we always need more ladies getting into shooting and hunting.

5. Blueyed-goof

Blueyed-goof Senior Refuge Member

Marc-

I've wondered where ya been and how you're doing! I remember being hesitant at shooting at first. It didn't help when my 'mentor' harangued me for not shooting when the first group of birds went over us. But it did help that before we ever went hunting we went to the skeet range to try our hand at shooting. You say she has shoulder problems, I don't know if this would make the problems any worse, or even if it's a realistic/viable option but have you considered trying her out on a left handed gun? (I assume she's right handed) It would take probably quite a bit of getting used to, but it might not aggravate the shoulder...just a thought....not sure how good a thought it is....

Dani

Oh and btw, we've been catching reds out the wazoo up here. I even caught a 7 1/2 lb trout...I love fall!!!

6. Squaller

Dani,

I HAVE emailed you a couple o' times....

I am soooooo jealous of the fishing:tu

Thank you ladies, I really wanted some female perspective on this. I think that 20 gauge wonder hit it on the head! Shoot for a bit and stop.... she has been out to the range a couple of times, and the more she shot, the less she liked it. Since I paid for a round of 25 targets, that is how many I have her shoot at.... I guess I should look at shooting like eating, and have her stop when she is full....

Dani, very good point and reminder for me not to get frustrated when she does not want to shoot at birds overhead... I have to remember that this is new to her and she needs to feel comfortable shooting....

Thank you ladies

7. brantboy2

brantboy2 Elite Refuge Member

Marc,

I know your dad Lame Duck from the photo forum...he mentioned that he had a son who was into flyfishing...I told him that you needed to go fish the Bighorn River in FT Smith Montana, one of the best rivers if not the best that I've fished. You're right about Hat Creek...nothing to write home about, should have gone to the Lower Sacramento!! If her shoulder bothers her, perhaps you can take her flyfishing..Jackson Hole would be a nice place:dv:

Lots of luck
    Ron