Getting back into bow hunting. A question or two about my set up.

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Stealyourface, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Refuge Member

I probably haven't now hunted since I was a teenager. And then my setup was what my dad set me up with. I haven't even deer hunted in at least 10 years. I've just always preferred to duck hunt. Anyway, I bought a new bow last week and planning on doing some hunting this year. We have about 100 acres of hardwoods and a handful of deer, not a large number, but a couple of good sized bucks.

Anyway, my bow is 60#, 29" draw length. I've been target shooting 350 grain mayhem ds arrows with 125 grain fields points. I don't really know much about arrow weight, so I let the guys at cabelas point me in that direction. I haven't decided whether I want to shoot fixed blade or mechanical broadheads, yet. I was thinking about mechanical, but I'm starting to lean back to fixed blade. Where do I really need to be in regards to arrow and broadhead weight? I keep reading that heavier is better, at least in regards to longer shots, which should be true because of its greater inertia. But a lighter, faster arrow is going to have more kenetic energy. I most likely won't be taking any shots longer than 20-30 yards. 40 at most, but it would be hard to get good shots that long. I'm not sure what speeds I'm shooting presently. The material on my bow says it'll shoot up to 320fps, but I'm sure that I'm well below that.

I have a buddy or two who are avid bow hunters that I'm going to ask their take on it, when I see then next. But what do y'all think?

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I think with your setup you can kill any deer you get a shot at within 40 yds. I'm not confident myself at shooting past that.

Stealyourface likes this.
  3. jrothWA

jrothWA Senior Refuge Member

At 60# is it a recurve or compound?
    What yardage gets your best groupig on target, use that for maximum yardage forpresent.
    Good Luck

4. Stealyourface

Stealyourface Refuge Member

Compound. I've roughly sighted in my 20 and 30 yard pin. These were taken last week when I was setting those pins. 20 and 30, respectively. I'd like to get it a little tighter. But I've only been back shooting for a week after a 10 year break. I could just use more practice.

Attached Files: