Getting setup with a duck hunting boat.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, Nov 28, 2017.

1. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

I am looking at the War Eagle boats to start duck hunting. I’ve always heard great things about them. With a boat I would be completely setup to waterfowl hunt and no more have to rely on buddies and friends to ask me to go along that have a boat. I want my own setup. With that being said I’d like to have a smaller boat with a tiller. So with peoples knowledge on these boats and what they offer what would be good for me? I was looking at the 548FLD with a 40hp motor. How many people could comfortably go in that setup? Also what about the 754LVD? It’s a bit long and wider. I’ll be carrying 3 dozen decoys or so. I am near a CA waterfowl 15 min away. Thanks

2. duckduckboom

duckduckboom Senior Refuge Member

What type of water do you hunt? I had a 1542 WE. I really liked the boat. It got small quick in any kind of big water or with more than 1 other guy in the boat. I now have a 17 footer. I think it's the perfect size boat for duck hunting. Small enough for some timber. Big enough for big lakes. Also I'm a huge fan of longitudinal ribs. Wareagle is one of the few who still uses horizontal bracing. Ill never own a boat with horizontal bracing again.

freefall likes this.
  3. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I have had a 754 tiller for 14 years. It has been great overall! I have cracked a few welds but I do bulldoze through a lot of brush. I have taken it from large rivers to shallow backwater. It is small enough to get through most flooded timber and have had it on the ocean several times(Pick calmer days) Hunts three comfortably plus a dog or two with a 40 2 stroke.

4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

17' is my personal favorite if you want a dual purpose rig for bigger water and narrow. 1860s get pretty big and hard to hide on smaller sloughs.

Whatever you do get MAX HP and a jack plate. You'll thank me later.

I have a 1648 and can hunt 2 comfortably out of it. Its a little snug once loaded but enough room once set up.

Ringbill likes this.
  5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

What type of water are you going to be boating on? Big lakes and rivers get angry quickly when the wind picks up.

freefall likes this.
  6. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I have a 648 with a 25 Yam 4stk. that I have mounted a scissor type blind on and I hunt out of it almost exclusively. Mostly I hunt just me and a dog but sometimes 2, usually with dz. dekes. Room wise it is fine for 2 hunters but very cramped for 3. With 1 the 25hp is fine, with 2 a little underpowered. I would prefer a 40hp. I love the boat, it hunts great and is easy for 1 old man to handle alone. But if I was going to replace it, it would be with a 754 with a 50hp and a jack plate.
    I had a 548 at one time and think a 40hp would be way too much motor.

7. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

As often as most hunters use a duck boat, look at the used boat market. Save yourself several thousand $ over buying new.

Ringbill likes this.
  8. quackaddictrecovery

It would be a 40 yard wide river and into some flooded area along the bank of the river. Schell Osage and Four Rivers C.A. is 15-30min away to waterfowl hunt. I have a side business building premium American flags and sell them. Trying to save enough to buy a nice boat. My son is 6 years old and I want to start a tradition with him hunting ducks, fishing, and running lines on the river. I know I could go get used and there isn’t anything wrong with that but I’d heard great things with the War Eagles. Just wondering if they’re worth the money with no regrets and no wishes on turning back.

9. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I run a 1648 lowe and sometimes wish I went bigger. If you are running any size of water a 15fter will feel small really quick. 17 is a decent compromise size. Not too big if it gets somewhat tight but big enough to handle some bumpy water. My buddy has a 17ft war eagle. Only issue I have with it is that it is twice as heavy as my 1648 fully rigged. Otherwise it is a nice boat.

10. quackaddictrecovery

What kind of motor is recommended for a 17ft boat? 40hp, 50hp? Also what motor brand is more reliable to have for an outboard tiller? Evinrude, Yamaha, Mercury? Are we talking basically Ford and Chevy kind of thing? To each their own personal preference?