Getting setup with a duck hunting boat.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

My last few motors have been Yamaha and I have never had a problem. But I have been hearing such good things about the Tohatsu that may be my next motor.

freefall likes this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

1995US1, who is semi-retired from this forum and has forgotten more about outboards than we will ever know, has always liked the Tohatsu outboard line.

DTHUR, freefall and Fowler267 like this.
  3. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I believe all the major players have good outboards nowadays. Compare what brands are sold locally and look into how good a reputation the place has.

I have a 2002 Mod-V 1760 tiller Lowe Roughneck. It's been an excellent boat. I started off with a used 25 suzie 2-stroke on it (good for light loads), but currently have a 2014 Yamaha f50 on it. Great outboard. With a tiller I would not want anything bigger. I also have a 6hp kicker on it.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Yamaha 50hp with a jack plate.

5. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

As I said, I have the Yamaha f50 on my 1760. I have no idea why I would need a jack plate.

6. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Well you're looking at a premium boat in a War Eagle, but heavy and expensive.
    Do you really need that much boat and want to spend that kind of money?
    Just be sure to weigh out your options, as it takes a lot of money for a rig, not to mention
    every other piece of gear that duckin' requires.

Some good info here already for you. Don't skimp on a quality motor and horsepower. The jackplate will
    be money well spent. Get a good trailer----I like all rollers, as I can handle it myself.
    With that being said, I went with am ALumacraft 16 foot riveted mod vee Jon boat.
    Light rig, so I can handle it myself when I need to, but hunts 2 guys, my dog an 8---10 dozen decoys OK.
    Spend your money on a top quality blind. I've had & hunted in many, over the decades. I have upgraded to a BEAVERTAIL
    flip over & really like it. Expensive, but well worth it----best one yet.

Ringbill

7. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

Awesome fellas I appreciate all the feedback. I look forward to being here on this forum!

8. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I responded to the wrong post.

Jackplates are worth they're weight in skinny water, hole shot & gaining top end speed.

Ringbill likes this.
  9. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I ordered a War Eagle 436 and had it made exactly like what I wanted. I took 10 weeks to build and deliver but it was worth waiting for. It's well worth it to call and talk with some of the boat builders.

There are a few options that aren't listed on the website. Something as simple as a $10 transducer bracket can save a lot of trouble later. I got the more open model with the secondary deck and the diamond floor plate with the extra flotation. I wired the boat myself but got the switch panel and rubber channel stuff to run the wires up front. I think they can add flotation pods. They also have split seating that works good for tiller handle outboards.

If you go aluminum, I don't think you can go wrong with a War Eagle.

Let us know what you decide.

Ringbill likes this.
  10. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I would play Devils advocate and say that you can build a better blind then you can buy. I have had an Avery and a Beavertail and several home built designs. For my situation and conditions(Timber, backwater, zero tolerance for any blind frame outside the gunnels) The Avery is much better then the Beavertail. It hides better, goes up better in tight tree hugging situations and keeps your face etc hid better.

For my money; I sold the BT and built a scissor blind with flip tops. It hides like an Avery and stores similar without the flopping around. I like the open top for walking fore and aft. No ducking and crawling like on the BT.

Ringbill and Rangerbob like this.