Getting setup with a duck hunting boat.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

+1

2. Aliv9

Aliv9 New Member

I hunt 4 rivers and schell osage alot. I run an excel 1851 with a surface drive and i like the size alot. Its not to big to handle alone but plenty of room for 3 hunters as well. I would recomend a surface drive over an outboard for hunting those 2 area's as its very shallow and muddy to get to the good holes.

3. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

So you can just contact War Eagle outright and build a custom one instead of buying from a dealer? Is this more expensive? Or is it 6 in one hand and 1/2 dozen in the other?

4. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

You'll have to order it through a dealer but it's probably cheaper to order one and pay for it than to pay the dealer's inventory cost. I was actually surprised how inexpensive it was to have one built.

5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

I'm sorry - that wasn't very clear.

When you order a custom War Eagle you'll have to "sit down" with a dealer and work through the order with the dealer. The deailer will also price it out for you. Talking directly to War Eagle will help you better understand what options are available because they can do some custom changes that aren't itemized on their website.

I don't think War Eagle will sell direct retail.

6. Aliv9

Aliv9 New Member

Quackaddict i would be happy to meet up with you sometime if you want to get a hunt in my boat. Its close to the size you are looking at so might give you a sure idea its what you want.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. quackaddictrecovery

quackaddictrecovery New Member

I appreciate man. With your surface drive how does it handle on bigger open water? Is it pretty loud?

8. Aliv9

Aliv9 New Member

It handles rough water pretty well, with 2 guys and gear its does about 26mph. The surface drive is louder than an outboard but not obnoxious in my opinion. Its nice not having to worry about getting into really shallow areas though so its worth the trade off for me.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My surface drive powers my big 1852 with full load in heavy winds, big waves, and as Aliv9 says, once things get skinny the advantage kicks in. I have been hunting a gravel bar river of late and I would have curled up a few props on a normal outboard. Yet I don't hunt gravel enough to buy a jet outboard, the downside being the slush ice, weeds and mud I sometimes run through. A prop outboard would be swell in clear, deep water but we run in a lot of junk.

10. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Well, Fowler, you are handy at modifying & fabricating----something I've always been at a loss for. Of the blinds I've hunted with, owned etc over the decades, this Beavertail is a good one for me. It sounds like you've no doubt have an even better setup, so it must be REALLY Good. Blinds are most important, IMO.

Ringbill

freefall likes this.