Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Getting setup with a duck hunting boat.

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by quackaddictrecovery, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Please don't take my comments as any sort of insult, LOTS of people love their Beavertails. I had previously had an Avery and liked the flip tops and compact inside the gunnels storage. They also have issues.

I have come to appreciate the value and enjoyment of home made stuff and had the time to spend on my own design. And it has been totally rebuilt once due to a tree falling on it and re engineered / tweaked a few times as well.

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

If you're hunting MO marshes, you are going to want a longtail (suggest Backwater, nothing better) or surface drive (suggest Copperhead, Pro Drive, Mud Buddy etc). A 1648 or 1754 of your choosing, open floor plan, with a 26.5 or 35 HP Backwater SWOMP longtail is what I would buy if I were you.

3. JK♡DUCKS

JK♡DUCKS New Member

What do you like about the longitudinal ribs? Im looking into bigger jon boats also and most I see have horizontal bracing.
    Thanks

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

When you have a boat with horizontal bracing and you hit hard stuff in shallow water (stumps, rocks) your boat will end up looking like a washboard. The areas where the ribs are won't dent but you will dent the areas between the ribs. This will rob speed because the bottom of your boat is rough instead of smooth. A longtitudinally braced boat with the proper amount of stringers will not washboard on you. If you happen to get a dent it does not affect performance as badly as a horizontally braced boat.

If you are going to run in an area where you will be whacking into hard stuff on the bottom you need to do three things:
    1) Get a welded boat, not a riveted one
    2) Get a boat that is .125 thick, not .100 or .080
    3) Get a longitudinally braced boat

Custom boat builders that meet the above spec include Phowler, Excel, Prodigy, Havoc, GatorTrax, ProDrive, GatorTail and others.

Lots of guys run with horizontally braced boats but it has been my experience while being pretty deep into the shallow water boating world for 13 years that guys who end up running skinny water end up in longitudinally braced, thick skinned boats after they have ruined a hull or two.

Ringbill likes this.
  5. JK♡DUCKS

JK♡DUCKS New Member

Great info. Do any commercial boats have longitudinal ribs? I have been considering an alumacraft waterfowler but you may have just changed my mind.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I hit a submerged tree with my tracker and my horizontal bracing welds broke free and now the floor rattles and flexs.

7. duckduckboom

duckduckboom Senior Refuge Member

Edge, New Grizzly Trackers, and Xpress boats all have Longitudinal bracing.

Most will knock a Grizzly Tracker, but you get a lot of boat for the money.

I have a 756 Edge. Great boat that will handle big water and I can take it everywhere my 1542 WE would go.

8. JK♡DUCKS

JK♡DUCKS New Member

Well, now it seems my mind has been changed !!! From what I see no commercial boats have. 125 hulls.

9. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Have what you want built. Some builders have pretty competitive pricing.