Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Getting to know the Refuge gang....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by hhboys, Feb 8, 2005.

1. hhboys

hhboys Senior Refuge Member

Since we have several new posters in here, I thought it might be a good thing to start a thread to help us get to know each other. This should be interesting:

Hometown: Gordonsville, TN (via Lexington, TN)
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 24
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: The first time I got 3 out or a bunch, the first time I called in a duck all by myself, Spending time with my dad, brother, uncle, and the rest of my friends. Really, too many to mention.
    Favorite duck call: Echo (modified just a little bit)
    Favorite goose call: Tim Grounds Half-Breed
    Favorite duck gun: Shooting a 3 1/2 Super X2 right now, but my all time favorite is my Browning A-5 with a 30" barrell.
    Favorite Duck Load: 3 1/2 #1s or BBs, High Speed Drylocks or Kent Fasteel (actually, my favorite load was 1 5/8 oz 3" #2 lead, but it is hard to find now, :l )
    Duck Decoy of Choice: G&H Magnums
    Goose Decoy of Choice: BigFoot or G&H
    Favorite Duck Blind Food: Scrambled Eggs with chopped Jalapenos, Good and Salty Country Ham, Deer Sausage, or thick-sliced Wright's Bacon, Ice cold Dr. Pepper in the Can (so cold that when you pop the top, ice spews out)
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: Something called Boo Dan, Don't know really what it was, but it was Cajun and it was nasty.
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind?
    Right Corner
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My dad and uncle, and Jimmy Jackson They took me when I didn't have boots and they would have to put me on their shoulders to carry me over to the boat in the swamp. They made sure I had a good time, even when we weren't killing many, and when we had good days, they always made sure to brag on me for killing some, even when I didn't draw a feather. I first went duck hunting in 1978 at age 8. At age 10, I started going pretty much full time, and it has consumed me ever since then. When dad had to work, they'd let me spend the night with them and go the next morning. They'd let me run the boat some, shoot the first single, get the first piece of ham out of the skillet. They took care of me and I always wondered why. Now that I have kids of my own, I know why they did things they way they did. I was taught not to sky bust, don't shoot hens unless its an accident, how and when to blow a duck call, how to "read" ducks (still learning that), how to enjoy a sunrise, and to always be thankful for the day and the fare that I am chasing, and to give thanks to the Lord for creating them for my enjoyment.

2. gravel

gravel Elite Refuge Member

Nashville, TN or in the swamps of West Tennessee,
    Wow, 50 views and I'm the first to reply. Come on guys, this could be a good way to get to know more people on here.

Hometown: Lebanon, TN
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 29 (Dad took me first when I was 5 years old. He said it was the worst thing he ever done. After that I wanted to go EVERY day he was going and would cry myself to sleep when he couldn't take me.

Favorite memory in a duck blind: On day with my father years ago. It was probably early/mid 80's and we were on Old Hickory. It was just he and I and we hopped into blind zero around noon. Dad busted a hole in the ice about 10feet by 10feet and we had about 10 decoys in it. Tiny hole to say the least.

Some may remember, but there used to be about a 1000(seemed like it) ducks that would go up river to a certain farmers fields and feed EVERY day. They would come off the refuge sometime between 2-3 and fly right over blind zero. Most times you could pull a couple down and get them to work. Well here we are with this tiny little hole and its about 10till 3:00. Dad is calling and starts working a big BIG bunch of mallards. Probably 200+, best I can remember. They were funneling down and trying to land in this tiny open hole of water. When the ones on bottom would get shuffled out they would swing up higher and fall back into the funnel. My dad was gasping for air, and between calling he would gasp to me "What time is it!!" and I would tell him. It went on till about 3:00 or a little after and dad told me we had to hurry up and shoot. He called the shot when we had a was of them low and we killed 2-3 can't remember. It is one of those memories that stick in the back of your head.

Favorite duck call: Howard Harlin Heavy Duty, 2nd Cache River Duckall by Grover Knoll
    Favorite goose call: none, I suck.
    Favorite duck gun:Browning 3.5" BPS!

Favorite Duck Load: was 3.5 high velocity #1's. But I'm looking to reload my own next year, either HeviShot or DangFAST steel.
    Duck Decoy of Choice: G&H Magnums, but really liking the way the cork/styrofome Herters ride!
    Goose Decoy of Choice: Not a big goose hunter.(yet)
    Favorite Duck Blind Food:Hmm, boy thats a tough one. Some of the things we ate last year:
    Country fried steak, mashed potatoes, brown gravy and bisquits(hot out of oven).

Western omlets with Sausage, onions, peppers, and lots of cheese. Cajun grits with shrimp and cheese. Hot bisqits with homemade peach and strawberry jelly.

Grilled fillet mignon (2" thick) with mashed potatoes and brown gravy.( and of course bisquits!)

Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: Nothing since I got a job and started buying groceries! When I was a kid we lived on potted meat, sardines and tiger sauce! Still good, but hard to be a hot meal.

Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Depends on the wind, right Bamma? haha Prefer the left since I usually call and I'm right handed. I can have my gun safe in the corner(left) and pick it up with my left hand as I drop the calls.

The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My father. Boy I could tell a lot of stories about the good times we have had. I miss hunting with him since he quit back in '86. If you want to read the stories I recommend the Hollywood thread! :tu

3. BAMAH2OFLR

BAMAH2OFLR Elite Refuge Member

LOL, that is funny right there Gravel...

Hometown: Huntsville, AL
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 25
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: Talking a buddy of mine into going duck hunting one morning, because we had a ton if ice, and working down the biggest group of mallards I have ever seen. Man that was some fun.
    Favorite duck call:Local Hand Made by Carry Sadler
    Favorite goose call: none, I suck to
    Favorite duck gun:Franchi 612
    Favorite Duck Load: Kent, Impact Tungsten Matrix #5
    Duck Decoy of Choice:Cheap ones
    Goose Decoy of Choice: G&H Floaters
    Favorite Duck Blind Food:I'll try anything once
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: Some damn hot sauce that Jamie @ Black Jack Pocket put us on this year. Never again my friend. I pop Mike (Ainkman here) in the head everytime I see him for that.
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Depends on the wind, right Bamma? That's right!!!
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My Grandfather. He never really duck hunted but was a big bird hunter. We were bird hunting one day and jumped a bunch of Ducks off of a farm pond. I ask if we could come back the next day and try to get a few and the rest is history...

4. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

HOMETOWN:Athens, TN (now reside in Lenoir City, TN)

How many years have you been duck hunting: 22 (my dad and brother would take me with them when I was very young).

Favorite memory in a duck blind: All my hunts are memorable but the one that really stands out would have to be in 1997 when my dad, brother, uncle, cousin, and myself went out to reelfoot for a weekend. Man did we wear em' out. Another one that stands out happened the next to last day this year, watching about 300 divers commit to the decoys.

Favorite duck call: Black Jack duck call

Favorite goose call: Foiles Migrator straight meat honker

Favorite duck gun: I use a Benelli Nova now, but my favorite of all time is a real old 870 wingmaster that my grandfather gave me when I was 10. I still drag it out during the early woodduck season.

Favorite duck load: Kent Faststeel in 3 shot.

Duck Decoy of choice: Flambeau

Goose decoy of choice: Flambeau

Favorite Duck blind food: Sausage, eggs, biscuits, grits, donuts

Worst thing that I'v ever eaten in the duck blind: Potted meat

Do you prefer the left corner, right corner, or in the middle of the blind? Right corner

The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My brother and dad got the ball rollin. I would go with my brother untill he left for college then I would get my dad to drop me off and pick me up till I turned 16. Thats one of the good things about having a father that fished year round, I could get him to take me to the lake and he would drop me off and go fishing while I would hunt then pick me up.

5. RedEyed Duck

RedEyed Duck Elite Refuge Member

Dang that is a lot of questions and answers......

Hometown: Bartlett, TN (via McKenzie, TN)
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 28 total, 18 on my own
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: I don't know that I have a favorite. Here are a few, shooting my first black duck in the Wolf River bottoms, watching my little bro shoot his first duck, and wating to see my oldest daughter (12) shoot hers!
    Favorite duck call: Hands Down Mike McLemore
    Favorite goose call: Don't know I suck too
    Favorite duck gun: 870
    Favorite Duck Load: 3" Winchester Drylock #2s
    Duck Decoy of Choice: Any mag or supermag
    Goose Decoy of Choice: any I can afford
    Favorite Duck Blind Food: Just the traditional breakfast, busicuts are a plus!
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: I disagree with hhboys, most country boys like Boudin, potted meat is the worst in my book.
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Definitely depends on the wind and responsibilities involved.
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My dad and cousins.

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander Elite Refuge Member

Well here we go

Hometown: Hurricane Mills, Tn ( loretta lynns ranch)
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 6 years
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: Well christmas day 2000 we picked up 36 ducks 8 geese outta 107, all other blinds was locked up. But this past weekend i might have a new one, seein all them lil kids smiles
    Favorite duck call: Duck Commander Reacher
    Favorite goose call: Winglock Whisperer and 1/2 Breed Supreme
    Favorite duck gun: Browning BPS 10 gauge
    Favorite Duck Load: 3 1/2 drylok bb's
    Duck Decoy of Choice: Flambeaus and herters
    Goose Decoy of Choice: bigfoots
    Favorite Duck Blind Food: eggs,biscuts,bacon, bologna, nutty bars, we have it all!!
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: everything taste good in a duck blind .
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Depends on which blind it is, mostly the corner closest to another blind so i can call ducks off em
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My moms dad .

7. fishunt

fishunt Senior Refuge Member

"SOGGY BOTTOMS HUNT CLUB",south coner of the "GETA
    HOMETOWN:Lebanon,Tn
    HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU BEEN DUCK HUNTING: the last 3 years real serious, have been hunting for 25 years.
    FAVORITE MEMORY IN A DUCK BLIND: Laying on the bank at Percy Priest lake, in early 80's and have a flock of 100 mallards come in, we killed a few, when we were picking them up. we had a big flock of red heads come in on us, i was the only one on the bank with a gun, i shot and killed one, they flew around for about 5 min and came back in and we all had our guns!!!!!!!!!.
    FAVORITE GOOSE CALL: none
    FAVORITE DUCK CALL: Haward Harlins Heavy Duty. and the Wench!!
    FAVORITE DUCK GUN: Benelli Super Black Eagle
    FAVORITE DUCK BLIND FOOD: coffee, and pancakes
    FAVORITE DUCK LOAD: Kents 31/2 #2 1 3/8 oz
    DUCK DECOYS OF CHOICE: Herters #72 mag Hand painted with a brush.
    DO YOU PERFER THE LEFT CORNER, RIGHT CORNER, OR IN THE MIDDLE: Which ever side the dog door is on. (If i have my dog with me.)
    DOGS NAME: Windy Hill Yellow Belle (belle)
    THE PERSON WHO GOT YOU STARTED DUCK HUNTING: Terry Butrum.

8. Duckvol

Duckvol Refuge Member

Hometown: Trezevant, TN (now reside in Jackson, TN)
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 26
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: Too many to list - never had a bad time. This year had to be one of the most special. I carried my 68 year-old father out with me for the first time (just the two of us). We picked up 9 and should have easily limited out. My father had duck hunted one time 30 years ago and did not enjoy it. Now he can't wait to get there. He is like a kid learning to hunt - he reads all of my books, watches all of my videos and dvd's - he just can't get enough. Our roles have officially changed...
    Favorite duck call: Have to go Haydel
    Favorite goose call: Ken Martin
    Favorite duck gun: Browning 10 Gold Light
    Favorite Duck Load: Winchester Supremes BBB
    Duck Decoy of Choice: I like Flambeaus - when you put out a 1000 it is hard to afford G&H.
    Goose Decoy of Choice: BigFoot or G&H
    Favorite Duck Blind Food: Country Ham with scrambled eggs and brains. Also have had a lot of good duck breasts, pork loin, and sausage burgers in the blind. I have honestly never had a bad meal in a duck blind.
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Right Corner
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My brother-in-law actually was the first to take me duckhunting, however I have a variety of great teachers along the way. I also have to give props to my father for teaching me to love the outdoors and to become a responsible and ethical hunter regardless of the game being hunted.

9. Thumpalot

Thumpalot Senior Refuge Member

Hometown: Huntingdon, TN (at UTM now)
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 8
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: Probably the first duck I killed. A susie mallard come in and the right end of the blind missed her, she came down to our end and was getting out when I some how hit her. I was hooked from the time I pulled the trigger.
    Favorite duck call: Mike McLemore Cocobola double-reed
    Favorite goose call: Mike McLemore maple
    Favorite duck gun: I shoot a SuperX2 right now, but maybe be in the market for a new gun this summer.
    Favorite Duck Load: 3" #2 Kent
    Duck Decoy of Choice: G&H Magnums or Supermagnums
    Goose Decoy of Choice: G&H
    Favorite Duck Blind Food: Duck & Rice with sausage, mushrooms, and cream of mushroom soup. For breakfast you can't beat country ham, eggs, and hot biscuits.
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: I would have to go with the pickled pig ears that made their way to the blind last year.
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind?
    Right corner most of the time.
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: Hunter McLemore got me into it, and there are too many people to list that have helped me along the way.

10. THE NATURAL

THE NATURAL Elite Refuge Member

Hometown: Union City, TN. (REELFOOT LAKE, TN.)
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 23 YEARS, My dad and grandfather took me once and I was hooked. Cried every morning I wasn't allowed to go, until I got a whooping. I still cried, and still got all my clothes on. They finally decided I was to determined NOT to let me go.
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: 2 years ago we lit over 300 ducks on the water, and we never fired a shot. The day in Arkansas when I killed my mallard-pintail cross. The day in Manitoba canada when we shot 9 limits of geese in 45 minutes, and then shot limits of ducks that afternoon. This year when me, old_sxs, his son Trevor, Jonesie, and Charlie Melton hunted together for the first time. I laughed so much, my face hurt the next day.
    Favorite duck call: Natural Game Call (ONE OF THE FIRST ONE'S I EVER MADE)
    Favorite goose call: Tim Grounds Super Mag
    Favorite duck gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle
    Favorite Duck Load: Winchester 20 ga. 3" #4's or 12 gauge 3.5" BBB
    Duck Decoy of Choice: GHG w/ Filler Killers
    Goose Decoy of Choice: Flambeau's w/ Filler Killer's
    Favorite Duck Blind Food: Pancakes, abacon, Oysters, Filet Mignon, Eggs, Ice cold Cokes, Country Ham, Most anything tastes good in the blind
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: Pancakes with some home made sorghum that tasted like ***, and some salt bacon. It too tasted like ***.
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Since I guide I hunt the middle.
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: Grandfather actually.