Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

Getting to know the Refuge gang....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by hhboys, Feb 8, 2005.

1. ShotgunSP

ShotgunSP Refuge Member

Hey! Been a lurker on here for a while, but decided it was time to jump in!

Hometown: Nashville, TN via Madison, MS
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 2, got alot to learn!
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: My first duck, a hooded meganser, on Priest with one of my best friends.
    Favorite duck call: Primos Loretta Hen

Favorite duck gun: Granddad's Rem Wingmaster 870, but I do most of my hunting with a Mossy 835.
    Favorite Duck Load: 3.5" #2s
    Duck Decoy of Choice: whatever works the birds!

Favorite Duck Blind Food: bacon, egg and cheese buscuits and some summer sausage.
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: I think a rat had some of my sandwich last year...
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Middle, so that I can hear everyone's stories. Thats the best part about this whole deal to me!

The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: Well, my good buddy Brad took me for the first time. Did not see a single bird, but it was great. Duck hunting runs in my blood though, as my great-grandfather was an avid Reelfoot hunter back in the day.

2. KILLTHEDRAKES

KILLTHEDRAKES New Member

hometown: Paris, tn
    been hunting for about 10 years.
    too many good memories to choose just one.
    favorite duck call: Kwack wacker.
    favorite duck gun: Browning gold.
    favorite load: Kent 3.5" #2's.
    not partial to any decoys as long as they look like a duck.
    favorite duck blind food: Almost anything tastes good in a duck blind.
    Worst thing eaten in a duck blind: We fixed breakfast one morning with a plastic fork. Needless to say the fork melted and gave everything an interesting flavor.
    Prefer to hunt the left corner of the blind.
    my dad got me started deer and duck hunting, but my buddies got me hooked on duck.

3. duckincrazy

duckincrazy New Member

Hometown: Paris, TN
    How many years have you been duck hunting: 8
    Favorite memory in a duck blind: the first day i got my father and my father-in-law in the blind with me. I called some birds in and we good time.
    Favorite duck call: RNT Original (REDNECK)
    Favorite goose call: Southern Game Calls Sentinel
    Favorite duck gun: 870 Express Super Mag
    Favorite Duck Load: 3" Xpert Hi-Velocity No. 2
    Duck Decoy of Choice: Flambeau (19.99 a dz at walmart LOL)
    Goose Decoy of Choice: Dont get too many geese in springville bottoms
    Favorite Duck Blind Food: Fried Bologna and Onions, deer tenderloin and biscuts WITH mustard
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: I dont eat it if it aint good
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind?
    Left has always done my fine
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: Some guys i went to high school with and then became friends with in college kept begging me to go and i didnt think it would be any fun boy was i wrong. ever since i have been consumed

4. hunt-chessies

hunt-chessies Elite Refuge Member

Hometown: Fife Lake, MI

How many years have you been duck hunting: 10

Favorite memory in a duck blind: Opening day of 2003-04 season i slept in a canoe in Merrymeeting Bay (Maine) smack dab in hte middle of THOUSANDS of roosting mallards and blacks. It was a full moon and it was so loud i had no other choice but to set there and watch them play all night long within arms reach of me in some cases.

Favorite duck call: Duck Bait calls made by "porter" a refuge member from Maine

Favorite goose call: Winglock

Favorite duck gun: Beretta Extrema

Favorite Duck Load: 3" Kent Fasteel #3's

Duck Decoy of Choice: No preferance, kinda like the GHG's

Goose Decoy of Choice: good ones!! LOL

Favorite Duck Blind Food: A good ham sandwich and a MTN Dew

Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: Spam

Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind?: right side

The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: David Stephens..... he was the first guy i met at my First duty station in the Navy. It was Whidbey Island Wa. In north west washington where 100,000 Mallards is a slow day and 107 day season is the norm!!! I didn't have a gun the first time out nad had leaky plastic waders..... He got me hook line and sinker..... now days only god and my two little boys out rank the ducks as prioritys in my life!!!!

I really look forward to moving to TN where people like me are still around:grvn

5. WALNUTLOG4LIFE

WALNUTLOG4LIFE New Member

Age 31
    Hometown Mayfield Ky (grew up in and claim Tn)
    Hunting with dad since I was 3 I killed a many with my pop cork gun
    Favorite Duck Blind memory was killing my first band Dad, Tommy and myself in tigrett eating breakfast and some ducks lite I didn't say a word jumped up and shoot a drake and it was banded. They were not happy with me.
    Duck Call Jim King
    Goose Call Pro Super Mag
    Gun Benelli
    Duck Blind Food Ribeye and taters
    Person who started it all was the best dad in the world

6. Bufflehead68

Bufflehead68 Senior Refuge Member

Age 40

Hometown Collierville TN

Years Duck hunting 14yrs

Fav Memory Both of my boys first ducks I almost drowned retrieving my oldest first woodducks{deciding moment on how I needed a dog} and My youngest blew the head off of his first duck. He misunderstood when i yelled shootem in the face and thought I said shoot off their face:l:l Lots of other special days but those two will always be tops.

Fav duck call H S Timber Waterfowl Cocobola

Fav goose call Canada Hammer II

Fav decoys A half dozen herters foam Buffleheads those thing are indestructable and my crew has tried

Fav Goose Decoy fresh picked corn

Fav gun Remington 11-87 supermag and Stoeger O/U

Fav Shell Hevi-shot but cant afford it Hevi-steel #4 ducks and Federal BBB geese

Fav duck blind food Biscuits and anything and some hot black coffee

Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind
    A health bar that tastes like cardboard I would rather eat pond slime.

Do you prefer left right or middle of blind or pit I prefer the shady side of the tree or my lay out blind.

Person who started you in duck hunting I tried to stay away from it for years and one new years eve my bro-inlaw was going to go by himself and my father in law said if you will go I will buy your license and he has waders and shells for you. SUCKA now 14 yrs and thousands of dollars later I need serious help according to my wife and in-laws:no:no:no I truly love the scenery and comraderie so my best days afield were not the days that we killed a lot of birds. Till you have watched a sunrise from next to a cypress tree you havn't lived

7. Old Hickory Hunter

Old Hickory Hunter Refuge Member

Hometown: Clarksville, TN. Have lived in Lebanon, TN for past 6 years

How many years have you been duck hunting: About 30 years off and on, mostly on.

Favorite memory in a duck blind: Hard to pick a single time, but it's always good when you have good friends to hunt with.

Favorite duck call: Waiting to get a Mark Matthews Acryllic midrange double reed. Will report later how I like it.

Favorite goose call: Getting a Matthews Call also, will report as well.

Favorite duck gun: Remington 870 3" Mag., SP Tree Bark Camo

Favorite Duck Load: The cheapest I can get!

Duck Decoy of Choice: Also Cheap

Goose Decoy of Choice: Do not own any at this time

Favorite Duck Blind Food: Usually anything I would not normally eat, vienna sausage, sardines & crackers etc. Really, when your cold and hungry, anything tastes great in the duck blind!

Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind?
    Wherever I don't hit a limb or other obstacle with my barrell

The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: The first time I went, my Dad took me and we walked Big West Fork Creek in Montgomery County to jump ducks. There was about 6 inches of snow on the ground. I was too young to carry a gun at the time but my dad killed one greenhead that flew over in a flock of 6 or 8 that seemed at the time to be a mile high with a 20 gauge.

8. RedlegHunter

RedlegHunter Senior Refuge Member

Hometown: Clarksville, TN (FT Campbell) at least for now. Uncle sam has a habit of moving me just about the time I get the area wired.

How many years have you been duck hunting: 8 (started late but making up for lost time) spent my formative years chasing deer and turkey's

Favorite memory in a duck blind: I have two favorites; #1 is a hunt I took my oldest son who was 5 at the time on in the Atchafayla Delta, LA with a good friend of mine who really is responsible for hooking me on hunting ducks in the first place (repaid the favor by calling in his first longbeard a short while later) but I digress. 4 days of hunting and fishing with my son and watching his eyes light up in awe when I placed a big fat greenhead in his hands after pulling my first duck double ever. #2 would have to be the first time I got my dad back into a duck blind after 30 years and then called in a group of mallards that he shot a banded drake out of.

Favorite duck call: RNT

Favorite Goose call: have a flextone I just started messing with. Have never hunted geese before, but gonna give it a try this year.

Favorite duck gun: Rem Wingmaster 870, just bought an 11-87 3.5 to try this year

Favorite Duck Load: 3"' or 3.5" #2s

Duck Decoy of Choice: G&H Magnums

Favorite Duck Blind Food: Bacon, eggs and biscuts

Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: close call between soggy crackers and boudin sausage.

Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Right corner

The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: Two buddies in the Army who grew up in Louisiana. Dad started taking me hunting for deer and upland birds at about age 6, but he was never a big duck hunter.

9. k_holmy

k_holmy Refuge Member

Hometown: Nashville, TN. Formerly Bolivar TN and Starkville MS

How many years have you been duck hunting: 12

Favorite memory in a duck blind: Shooting a double right after a group passed by the boat my hunting partners used to pick up ducks from a few minutes earlier

Favorite duck call: DR-85 dance with the one that brought you

Favorite goose call: Tim Grounds

Favorite duck gun: Browning BPS

Favorite Duck Load: Winchester DryLok 2's

Duck Decoy of Choice: Flambeau pontoons

Goose Decoy of Choice: cheap ones in the camoflauge box

Favorite Duck Blind Food: sausage, fried egg, cheese, and mayo on two pieces of light bread

Whichever end eats first - generally the left corner

The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: an older cousin and a friends father

10. reedbeard1

reedbeard1 Refuge Member

Hometown: Somerville TN
    How many years have you been duck hunting: I have duck hunted for about 29 years Favorite memory in a duck blind: When my dad let me shoot an old double barrel, the hammer kind and did not tell me not to put both fingers on the triggers. That is funny now. when the bruise went away I was ready to try the gun again.
    Favorite duck call:Big Guy's best B&W
    Favorite goose call: none
    Favorite duck gun:super black
    Favorite Duck Load: 3 1/2 (no Kent)
    Duck Decoy of Choice:GHG
    Goose Decoy of Choice: G&H Floaters
    Favorite Duck Blind Food:I'll try anything once
    Worst thing you have ever eaten in a duck blind: I have not found it yet.
    Do you prefer the Left corner, right corner, or in the middle in the duck blind? Depends on who I hunt with. I can miss a duck from all of them.
    The person (people) who started you in duck hunting: My dad and my uncle. I miss my dad not hunting with me where I hunt now. He said that he is 2 old to hunt.