GHG Commercial Grade Review??

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by MO-trapper, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MO-trapper

MO-trapper Senior Refuge Member

Looking for a good review of these new dekes (not why someone still hates Avery from 12 years ago or about your Pro Grade dekes). Really like to know how the commercial grade material held up, looked in sun/clouds/frost, etc. Rumor has it Avery is working on a new Lesser deke. Hopefully in this new material if it's worth a darn.

I don't even know where a guy could hold one of these around here. BP doesn't stock at my location.

2. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

Not sure how close you are to KC, but Rogers has them on display. I've not hunted over them, but the ones in the store look nice and don't show much wear, despite being handled by every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

3. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

There's a guy on another forum that hunted them a lot last season and had them for sale, he told me in a PM the reason was he said that the mold for the decoys was blue and by the end of the season he had a blueish tint to his decoys and birds were shying away. Bothered the heck out of him. He also stated the motion cone was a real pain in the butt, heard that from another person also.

4. MO-trapper

Thanks guys. Not super close to KC but may be over there this summer and take a look.

Blue mold? that's a first, but yeah that would drive me nuts too. Especially at that price. I assumed it was the same motion cone, stake system as other GHG, which I think is pretty decent on the snows and Newbolds, but I also prefer the field stake method and don't like the ring bases and keeping dekes attached...To each his own.

I haven't seen many for sale, but also haven't seen many reviews.

5. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I hunted over 4 dozen Avery Comm. Grades last season. No they didn't turn Blue and held up extremely well but I bag them in 6 slots. Yes the small slot in the motion cone makes it a little difficult to remove the stake/stand. Like anything else, there is a little trick to easily remove the base when using the no motion slot. I like them and will continue to use them in the future. Hope this helps,

Murph.

6. MO-trapper

Thanks Murph. I read somewhere else the paint was pretty darn durable, had to gouge the material to get it off. Also read somewhere else the flocking wasn't quite as durable either though - your thoughts?

I don't baby my dekes, but I do bag them in slotted bags for easy of transport and storage at home.

Was going to buy some of the snows on post season sale but can't help but wonder if they start making them in a similar material next year.

7. don835

The paint and flocking on my Comm. Grades shows hardly any wear after a long season. I run 48 of these decoys in Rogers 6 slot bags. The heads get a ton of use when pulling and replacing the decoys back in the bags. I liken these decoys in durability to Big Foot when I used to run them ... only, the Avery's move.

Murph.

8. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

Except 1 thing don there's no need to bag a Bigfoot

9. don835

Yeah I know...I'm anal about my gear. When your retired and live on a fixed income you become more protective of what you care for the most!

Murph.

10. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Refuge Member

I haven't bought goose dekes in several years need to replace some of my ones that are getting beat up, are they fully flocked?