GHG Commercial Grade Review??

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by MO-trapper, Mar 22, 2016.

1. javman

javman Refuge Member

The Hunter series are $140 (uses old lessor molds) the commercials are $230

2. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I really liked the GHG Commercial Grade Canada's...still do. Although, I had some issues with the movement system. The tiny bungee cord did not support the weight of the stand when leaving them attached to the body. I had several bungees break. The collapsible base is a nice feature but has issues as well. You either have to beat the stand into the body or you can't get it to pull out. When the little spring grabber type clips broke in the tube you ended up with a rester decoy. I replaced 5 tubes out of 24 decoys and one was bad when I sold them. Great looking decoy though!

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I saw them at Sportsmans a warehouse and was not impressed. I don't know how much they are being handled in the store but they looked shabby. I will stick with my Avianx or if you can drive to fields you might want to check out Dave Smith.

4. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

My commercial grades have none of what you are referring to.

5. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

^I'm thinking Don is maybe confusing the commercial grades with Avians, since to my knowledge the GHG's have no bungee or retractable bases? Just stakes and round bases on the motion cones.
    Yesterday, the commercial grades were on sale for $139 and change. They must have sold what they wanted to and bumped them back up to full price now. Should have 6 dozen coming so I'm hoping they are what I'm after. I figure worst case scenario I should be able to sell them for as much as I have into them if theyre not. Screenshot_2017-11-20-18-44-30.png

6. javman

javman Refuge Member

Dang jrode, good get for you! I missed on that deal. Congrats.

7. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yup...my bad. I had them mixed up!

8. jrode237

All else considered, you still liked them Don? I've 2 dozen Avians now that I'm satisfied with but not overwhelemed. I haven' had any base issues but broken heads on 3 (Avian replaced no questions asked) and they get bagged every hunt and they're taking a bit of a beating. Been reading some other reviews on the commercial grades and have seen it mentioned the colors are molded in similar to a Bigfoot....I don't plan on tossing them in a pile like I do with my foots and older Higdons but to know I "could" may be what I'm after.

9. jrode237

Buckmaster, you own some too? Care to chime in?

10. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I never even hunted geese in the field this year. So I didn’t use them this season. However, they still look brand new after being hunted hard all season last year. They are more gray in color which I like. The avian x decoys are more brown in color. Early season birds no doubt have more Brown in them but mid season on the birds are definitely more gray in color. If that maters at all to you.