GHG Commercial Grade Review??

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by MO-trapper, Mar 22, 2016.

1. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

I ran 10 dz Avains for five years. They suck durability wise. I got tired of broken crap.

If you’re not lazy, and can sacrifice 5 dollars in krylon, the commercial grades are a FAR better decoy for the money.

2. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

I am extremely thrilled to hear this! More durable then foots is saying something! I actually just got the remaining 3 dozen assembed tonight and am hoping to use them in the next few days. Few quick questions if you get a minute.....
    I'll probably use them the remaining of the year as they came (i.e. Not painted). From your comment, the need for bagging them is non existent? That would be huge as what I saved on the decoys, would essentially be made up for in buying a dozen 6 slot bags @ ~$500....
    Also, when you say you put them on Dakota bases, your talking with a bungee type system so the base stays attached to the decoy at all times? That's my only complain' regarding GHG's are what you gain in the motion department, you tend to lose in setup time (compared to a foot or old school Higdon)
    Either way, thank you for chiming in on this thread.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I only have 7 dozen Avianx, the full body honkers I bought the first year and the lessers I bought when they came out and they don't have as much as a Nick or scratch on any of them,I do have one base that sits a little crooked,but considering I pack in every hunt I think I got more than my Monies worth. I have also landed more geese with these than any other decoy I have owned and there has been a lot.
    The bottom line is IF you are happy with yours that's all that really matters.I saw them at the store on display and they just didn't do it for me.

4. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

More durable then Bigfoots? I havn't hunted over Avery commercial grade but that's hard to believe. I still hunt over Bigfoot originals that are 20+ years old that have been hunted over almost every day of the hunting season while being thrown in and out of trailers and in and out of pits the whole time. These decoys get 50-60 hunts a year. Until you put the commercial grades through that abuse for that long I'm going to question the statement that they're more durable then Bigfoots.

5. mpkowal

Bigfoot,the decoy that changed the full body goose decoy forever.
    I have a friend that has 40 or so,bought them the day they came out,in brand new shape,although he hasn't used them a lot in the last 5 years.I ask him every time I see him if he would sell them to me he always changes the subject.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.
  6. mpkowal

Well ,I gotta say I pre judged the Ghg,I saw them in the field and they look pretty good mainly like some of the poses.probably not going to replace my current spread ,but definitely will add some of these if needed in the fiture