GHG Common Eiders

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by RSDecoys, Mar 31, 2012.

1. havenhunter

havenhunter Elite Refuge Member

JTS and I hunt together. He made some big sick looking foamers this year. Probably 22 inches or so. Out in the boat retrieving birds those things stuck out like a sore thumb. Jeff posted some pics in the feb eider thread. It has not been my experience that numbers draw eiders. I have played around with both and find that the birds will come to 12 just as readily as they come to 40. I honestly think that eiders make the decision to come to the decoys from a long way out. If they are passing by they don''t often make a last second decision to make a big turn and peel in.

2. brantboy2

brantboy2 Elite Refuge Member

Wow, what a heated discussion over some decoys:dv...but Bill I was wrong about the foam filling of the surf scoters, there are also broadbills, redheads, canvas backs and mallards as well:dv

3. murdock84

murdock84 Elite Refuge Member

I'm assuming that these decoys as well as the new Old Squaw and foam filled Scoters are not going to be out this year? I checked a few websites and they are not even listerd on their webpages anymore for sale. They were listed as backordered a few weeks ago when I last checked.

4. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

To my knowledge the foam filled scoters where out last season.

5. Bill Sanders

Bill Sanders Elite Refuge Member

I hunt seaducks over 10 dzn ghg coots and they sit higher in the water and the white on the bills pull surfs just fine and they dont need painting and never had any problems out of them.

I've never hunted over any of the new ghg seaducks dekes.

JMHO

6. MRB1

MRB1 Elite Refuge Member

you get what you pay for! durablility is not cheep and cheep is not duribal.

7. Maine Ducker

Maine Ducker Senior Refuge Member

I have to totally agree with this. I've suffered the wrath of Avery customer service a couple times. I had 3 Groundforce blinds in a row rip out on the bottom in the same spot on the first hunt. Returned the first and second to Rogers. The third time I called Avery to deal with them directly since I was pretty disgusted. Man, what an unpleasant experience that was. I talked to the woman who was the head of customer service. She pretty much said take a hike and deal with Rogers. Didn't care that there was some sort of manufacturing defect and said they hadn't heard any other problems. I gave up and returned the blind to Rogers and bought another brand. I also had the flocking fall off my pro grade full body geese after half a season. They were in bags and taken care of but Avery refused to replace the heads because I couldn't "prove" they were in bags. I've also been shorted decoys a couple times. And yes, my full body hen mallards are now a lovely pink color after two seasons. My buddy bought $1100 worth of pro grade full body geese for this season. He's already got two broken heads, several missing legs out of the box, and chipping paint. My other buddy bought a new M2 layout and the door broke on the first hunt. Avery did replace that so I'll give them credit for that one. But, he still lost time because of a defective product out of the box which seems to be a common theme. In my experience if whatever Avery product you buy survives the first couple hunts it should be OK. Maybe.

Needless to say I no longer buy anything Avery. I'd have a hard time buying any of their sea duck decoys and hunting them in such harsh conditions as salt water. I simply don't see them holding up in those conditions.

8. Blackduck

Blackduck Senior Refuge Member

Wow, I just found this thread and spent an hour reading it all. I dont hunt eiders and dont care about those dekes, but I had no idea what I had been missing in here.

I work Hunting Retail, and order lots of products from lots of these companies. I also deal with the customers day in and day out, and mostly remember the unhappy ones. If you deal with a small custom company, yeah, I'd expect better than what Avery delivers. If its a big brand, it sucks. Period. They all suck. Avery just sucks a little less than the rest. And American made, dont make me laugh. The "big" American decoy company has caused me more grief, and makes our store less profit, than any other company. I love supporting American manufacturing, but I've got a hundred Americans to employ myself, and can't do it making no profit and dealing with shoddy American products. Avery sucks sometimes. The rest are worse. Small and custom is better, but most people wont spend that much. If they do want custom, they go direct, as they should, as I would.

And if you have a pair of waders, S-T-F-U, none of them are made in America. Most clothing isnt. Most duck guns worth hunting with arent either. I love supporting American manufacturing workers, but honestly most of them are lazy and suck at their jobs apparently, as this election has just proven quite definitely. I'd rather a hard working foreigner make my product than some "i dont care" American.

I wont mention the "big" company names that are worse than Avery on quality, but if you buy them, you know them. I will say that in many many pages of complaints and "i wont buy Avery anymore" statements, I failed to see anywhere that anyone said who they were buying that was making a superior product, other than saying Tanglefree was bringing out a comparable Chinese product. And I've used both. Give me the Avery's.

And before you get your flame on, I've never been given a free deke from Avery, though I have from other companies. I still BUY Avery and would only consider BigFoot as the only other good production company, but they only make so few species they dont meet all my needs.

If you hunt hard, they all break down eventually. I hunt nearly everyday.

And lastly, to Avery, and its haters:
    In retail, you try to treat the customer right and make them happy, but at some point, as a seller, there are some customers you are just better off not to get their business. They are a losing proposition and you hope the competition enjoys dealing with them. Good riddance.

9. murdock84

murdock84 Elite Refuge Member

I noticed on another website that they were not shipping these out do a quality control issue or something similar. Kudos to Avery/Greenhead Gear if they have not been sent because of poor quality. Rather than get more complaints it seems that they are waiting until they are right to ship them out to suppliers.

I've had issues with some of my Avery decoys, but for the money they work fine and are easily replaceable.

10. MRB1

MRB1 Elite Refuge Member

I love that!