girlfriend wants a gun

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by Haus, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately, I agree with you on this one... :(

I certainly did not mean to sound hostile, but I have seen a lot of people turned away from shooting because of recoil.

I do think an auto is the way to go, but as has been stated above, the gun has to fit. My girlfriend is getting her stock cut as we speak...

One thing you want to emphasize to any new shooter is to pull the gun in tight. Newbies never believe you on this; it does not make sense intuitively to hold something that hurts closer. Consequently most new shooters take some serious abuse on their face and shoulder the first time shooting, cause they are holding the gun away from their shoulder without putting their face on the stock.

2. videographer

videographer Elite Refuge Member

10-4!

3. Hunterchick

Hunterchick New Member

I am 5'2 and 110 pounds a shoot a beretta extrema 2 and I love it. Do not start her off with a 20 gauge, unless you are willing to wait until the ducks are in range of a 20 gauge. I shoot 3.5 inch shells through it every hunt I have, and just it has recoil, but it just something that I have gotten used to. Also, do not forget that normally during the hunting season you are wearing nice puffy clothes, which helps with the recoil.

4. swampswimmingshrek

swampswimmingshrek Elite Refuge Member

All I have to say is a AUTO. Beretta or Beneli. My ex-wife had a bad sholder and shot the 391. 2-3/4" 1oz loads had almost no recoil.

My new wife shoots a 390. She's 118# soaking wet and about 5'7".

Either a 20gauge or a 12. If she shoots the 12 let her shoot light loads. Like 1oz. They are awesome loads and don't kick. Don't let people say the 20 is to small. I have been shooting a 20 gauge all season and honestly I think it kills the ducks and geese just the same or maybe a touch better.:tu

5. Heather

Heather Senior Refuge Member

I consider myself a smaller framed female....I have been shooting the Browning Gold Hunter 3" for the last five years. Been a great gun for me. Now, though the SX3 from Winchester is my new favorite diddy. It is smooth, fast and lightweight. I am so thrilled with this gun and it fits me great. Like others said though, every gun fits everybody different. Take her out to a trapshooting club where they have guns you can try out. There are some real nice 20 gauges on the market too. Good luck! :)

6. Heather

Heather Senior Refuge Member

BTW-You are a great boyfriend! :tu