Gloves Recommendation

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by seiowa, Nov 8, 2017.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

What do guys like for gloves? I am at the point I am frustrated enough with the cheapo's I've had to drop some coin if need be. I am forever trying to find that magical spot on the spectrum of warmth and dexterity.

Best pair of gloves I ever had warmth wise were Gordinis. Ponied up a pretty good chunk of change for them, but I only really use them ice fishing, as the dexterity of them is akin to the stay puft marshmallow man gloves I used to wear at recess in Kindergarten.

I had another crap brand pair that promised unparalleled dexterity and the tips were smart phone touch-able. But after about 45 mins out in temps below 35, you'd have no idea you have gloves on at all. Fingers were like ice blocks.

Anyone find a good compromise between warmth, and dexterity? Price is not an issue. I'm ready to just buy a pair that fits my needs and hopefully lasts a while. Also they don't need to be waterproof. I have different gloves for picking up decoys.

Ringbill likes this.
  2. seiowa

I'll also add that these gloves will be used in potentially single and low double digit temps. Please consider that as some of the folks hunting way down south may think a glove that keeps you warm at 40*F is a "warm" glove. May be the case for some of you but that won't cut it here unfortunately.

3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

4. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

The only time I wear gloves is driving the boat or setting dekes so I go with Atlas crabbing gloves. I assume you’re wanting some to wear in the blind as well so I really can’t help you there.

5. seiowa

Yep in the blind and also when doing some walk in hunts at zero dark thirty packing in my stuff.

6. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

I've gone thru dozens of gloves and have finally settled on SSG 10 Below-seem to do the job in single digits-Got them on Amazon-they are usually sold in farm stores for winter time horse people.

7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I don't wear gloves until it gets in the 20s. While we certainly don't get the extended cold you do in IA, I've hunted plenty of days in single digits and below. For several years now I've been wearing the thinsulate insulated leather work gloves from Tractor Supply. I treat the outside a time or two each year with a healthy dose of mink oil. They break the wind well, are reasonably warm and waterproof and they're the closest insulated thing I've found to wearing no gloves when it comes to performing tasks like setting decoys and such. If I were smart, I'd spend another twenty bucks for a second pair to have on those days when I manage to get the other pair wet busting ice early in the morning. As it is, I stick them in my waders about thirty minutes before I leave the blind to warm them up. That works to keep my hands warm enough for the boat/atv ride in. Oh, and that's another plus for them, they are easy to put on even when wet.

Foxwood and Ringbill like this.
  8. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I've found the best combo when duck hunting is choppers and a good muff. When packing in I just wear my choppers because I'm not going to shoot my gun anyways. Once I get to the blind I just use a muff. If it's super cold I put a hand warmer inside. It's really the best way since you can't call effectively with gloves on. I got sick of always pulling my gloves off to call at birds and went with the muff instead. That way I shoot and call without gloves then my hands go right back in the muff. I'll never go back to strictly gloves again.

Ringbill likes this.
  9. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Do you know any railroaders? The gloves they get are mighty warm. Won't work to shoot with on though...or so I hear. ;)

spring man likes this.
  10. Lexuss

Lexuss Senior Refuge Member