GM to introduce new electric vehicles by 2019..

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by por boy, Oct 3, 2017.

1. por boy

por boy Senior Refuge Member

I don't think they will have them perfected by then.
    Besides what's wrong with this?
    Needs no gas or charge and will take you home to the barn when drunk.

[​IMG]

2. ReaPeR105

ReaPeR105 Elite Refuge Member

Not enough horse power. But it is four hoof drive.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Needs a lift kit, a giant landing goose sticker on the orange reflector thing, and where do I mount the 72 inch 19 billion lumen LED bar upfront?

Would be funny, rather than roll coal, just have your horse leave a dooky on the car next to you

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I dig the self driving feature!

tcc likes this.
  5. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

From a friend...

At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious. If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you had to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service.

The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than 3 houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy the damn things & replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills & solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead-end road that it will be presented with an oops & a shrug.
    If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are eco-friendly, just read the following:
    Note: If you ARE a green person, read it anyway. Enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors... & he writes, “For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.” Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank & the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4-1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery & you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery. The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity. I pay approximately (it varies with amount used & the seasons) $116 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000. So the American Government wants loyal Americans not to do the math, but simply pay 3 times as much for a car, that costs more than 7 times as much to run, & takes 3 times longer to drive across the country!

Doc E likes this.
  6. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I hope it is not correct, but i fill it is.
    Dont forget that production of a single car battery makes more bad gas emission than any gas car in its lifetime. I read it somewhere but would not bet on it
    But is is political, we all need to say big Thank you to Obaillary.
    I cannot wait for the time when i go offroad hunting with my full electric SUV.

7. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

AQ- that particular cut and paste has been discredited multiple times in multiple ways, I won't bother with it but google is your friend if you want to find all the inaccuracies and out and out lies. But I am sure you already know that but are just doing a bit of trolling. :)

On my second Leaf. Leased the first one, just paid off the second one and I have 56K miles on it. It is the best car I have ever owned.
    It is not my only car. I also have a Chevy Suburban for long trips, to pull my boat, and hunting. I did not get it because I am a greeny or anything like that. I did it because it was the better cost alternative and works perfect for my region and lifestyle. In addition, my car does not require an aircraft carrier in the Persian gulf. In fact, if I wanted I could buy solar panels (even in the Seattle area) and charge it completely off grid. But our electricity costs .07 a kwh so I haven't yet bothered. When my battery eventually goes to the point of being ineffective, I will replace it for about $5500 for another 100K miles and Nissan is upgrading their batteries so my car will be even better at that point. Our home charger is on 220v so it is like plugging in a dryer. I haven't even noticed a difference in our electricity bill, but I got rid of an old freezer and I did. lol

The new generation of electric cars that get over 200 miles per charge will be the game changers. I suspect it will be like the switch over from 35mm film to digital cameras. I can not wait for an even better electric car and actual computer driven cars. I see so many stupid, stoned, old and scary, texting drivers on the road, it will be significantly safer. The last people to make the switch will finally be forced to switch when they can't find a gas station and their insurance is too high because they insist on self driving.

Enjoy the future it is headed your way..... :)

num70 likes this.
  8. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Widgeon, if you want to save the planet with your electric car that is great, but you cannot make the arguement that it is "cheaper" to operate than a Honda Civic for example. Did you accept your federal credit for the Volt or donate it to the Seattle homeless? Put up a windmill and enjoy your Volt. As the future is headed my way, I'll bet that 40 years from now it will not be battery powered cars. And don't be a hater on aircraft carriers, they are pretty cool!

Doc E likes this.
  9. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

Nope the planet doesn't need saving. I don't care about C02, man made global warming is a religion (and I have no faith in their prophets or prophesies), sea rise will just provide more mud flats for me to hunt, so bring it on. I own a Nissan Leaf not an ObamaVolt. Hybrid cars are the worst of both worlds, a gas motor to maintain and a battery to loose life. No thanks.

Tax credit is only useful for those who pay a significant amount in, and there are all sorts of caveats etc. We were able to take a part of it for one year, but I have no problem with that since our tax money goes to much worse causes than that and I will be much more effective and efficient with that money. Did you donate your mortgage interest deduction to something??? I don't make the tax rules, but I also don't pay more than I am required to. Do you?

Aircraft carriers are cool. I just hate that I have to pay for one to protect the oil supply and prop up dictators and despots. I also find it annoying how the cost of that nonsense somehow doesn't get figured into the cost of the ICE cars and an oil based economy.

It was cheaper for me. Don't know about where you live, but when I calculated the cost and then figured in things like fuel ($3 a gallon right now) oil changes, transmission service, timing belt, tune up, starter, water pump, etc. etc. etc. I am quite happy with my Leaf. I have had some maintenance in 56K miles. I bought two new tires (two more in about 5K) and some windshield wiper blades.

One last thing, when you compare a cut down, Geo Metro with no options etc. to a Leaf, a Leaf is more expensive. But I don't want to drive one of those. I have GPS screen, heated seats, side air bags, back up camera, great stereo, etc. When you start looking at cars with the same kind of option package, the price difference is actually not as significant as some make them out to be.

The future is tough to predict, but usually money isn't stupid. When you look at where the money is going and where companies are investing do you see it going toward better ICE cars or electric? The millennials don't give a rip about the ICE versus electric debate. They just want transportation that doesn't break down, have check engine lights go on an off for this or that sensor and having to pay a mechanic $100 and hour to fix it. They will abandon the ICE for something that works better in a heartbeat.

By the by, people said the Leaf was a fad when it first came out and would already have failed according to their predictions.
    Things that make you go hmmmm....

I will honk next time I go by the gas station.

10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Electric cars are for people with nowhere to go and all day to get there. Self-driving cars are for people who don't know how to get there either.

My wife had a Leaf. I installed a charging station for her. The system on the car sensed how much power was available and the charging time reflected that. It took all night to charge it, which was ok as long as she remembered to plug it in.

She developed a syndrome called "range anxiety" because the thing never got the 80+ miles per charge it was supposed to get. She was afraid to run the heat or air. Around 40 miles was the best it ever did per charge.