Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Go-fast motor

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by SilverBullet, Jan 2, 2019.

1. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

Hey guys, I've got a 98' Nissan 2 cylinder 25. Its got a 30 hp carb on it and restrictor plate has been removed. What other cheap mods can I do to make it fast? I a thinking about installing Boyesen Power Reeds (only $60). Would this make a noticeable difference in power?

2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

3. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Yup, Prop set up for your specific boat and weight.

4. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

I'm running a Solas 13p right now and it is about as far as I want to go as far as decreasing my holeshot to get better top speed. It is on a 1442 Alweld flat bottom. I'm running about 36-37 by myself in it but I haven't really got the trim right yet.

5. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I
    I doubt it is safe to run this boat faster than that.
    I have tracker 1448, which is much heavier boat and when running faster than 32 is is already unstable. Myne is rated 26MPH by the manufacturer (I called them).

BTW, by drilling vent holes you will improve your hole shot sifnificantly. It is true especially for 2 stroke motors.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    SilverBullet likes this.
  6. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

Well, I did decide today that I’m going to sell the hull and replace it with a larger hull (1644 Alumacraft mod v). Not due to any problems, only losing one open water hunting spot and gaining a timber hole. I just need something a little more “nimble” I guess you would say at speed.

7. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

Along the lines of the reeds, will they make any noticeable difference in power upgrading from stock to the boyesen?

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

They can do different things, just like changing the reed thickness in your duck call can. They can move your power band (where you're making more/peak power) to a higher or lower RPM. They can change throttle response time (lag) as well as idle. In my dealings with Boyesen, they made good reeds for MX bikes. Can't imagine they'd make crappy reeds for a boat motor.

freefall and SilverBullet like this.
  9. SilverBullet

SilverBullet New Member

Alright that makes sense. I think I’ll order a set to try. Can’t imagine how they wouldn’t help Hole shot over stock as they are supposed to be power reeds. It’s not too expensive so I figure it’ll be worth a shot.

10. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Have you consider the vent holes for the prop? It helped me with my boat and three 250LB boys and fishing gear to get out of the hole faster

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019