Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Going Back

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Cfoty, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Cfoty

Cfoty Refuge Member

ive been out a good part of this evening and have heard flock after flock of geese heading north on the south wind. Since they arrive so late now with them basically staying here 2 months do you think the migration pattern change will have an affect on goose hunting in the future. I can remember when they got here in late October and would leave in early March boy times have changed

2. Allan

Allan Elite Refuge Member

It already has had an effect here in DE. Our Thanksgiving week (or weeks, depending on the year) season is a waste of hunting days.

Agree with you, the honkers were here in force when the season opened in October when I moved here in the early 80's. Sure is different now.

gone goosin likes this.
  3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

when I got home yesterday evening I thought I heard a large flock of geese in the distance. started moving towards the back of my property only to realize all the noise I was hearing was not from geese but was tree frogs and other critters that were making a raucous. Seems as though the warm weather got the tree frogs and other swamp critters up out early in the creek bottom behind my house.

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

since posting this, I have been out with the dogs this morning. The swamp behind my house emptied out early with geese and I wondered if they were heading out to feed or heading north. Had wave after wave of high flying geese heading north for the last two hours

5. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I think that's where my snows went

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I have 2K geese on my daily commute, see them every morning and every afternoon. Same loaf/roost/feed spot for 3 months. They were there last night, totally gone this morning and right as I was saying to myself "they left" I saw a large flock migrator high head north up the river. It was 77 degrees on my way home.

8. Big Chris

Big Chris Senior Refuge Member

I've seen the same in SE Pa. Bad news is New York has that terrible march season , may be a lot of migratory up there for thier season .....

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

There always is, same with the last week of their early season

10. Shawn Swearingen

Shawn Swearingen New Member

I've noticed the difference as well, where the last two weeks I've seen them around and now they are gone. Over the last few years they were here later in those same loafing areas. Then again, the daffodils are up and trees are budding. We'll see how long this goose thread stays on subject.