Gold 10 issue

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by blkduck, Oct 31, 2017.

1. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

I have an issue that some times I fire a shell in my gold 10 and it ejects the shell fine, but the next one is not picked up and loaded. The bolt closes and there is no shell. The other two shells dont move from the magazine at all, they are not getting jammed any where. I manually pull the bolt back and the next shell pops up no problem.

This happens about 1 out of every 15-20 shells I shoot.

Any ideas?

2. PantherMartin

PantherMartin Elite Refuge Member

I don't know if this is the issue but I've seen it many times and fixed several guns with this problem. Especially with semi-autos. The inside of the magazine tube needs to be cleaned with solvent and scrubbed with a bore brush until it's squeaky clean. Clean the spring and the shell follower also. Then lightly lube all three.

The other issue could be the shell stop that releases the shell. If you can't remove it to clean behind it, (Wingmasters as an example), I flush it out with brake cleaner, let it dry and then spray lube behind it as well wiping away all excess.

Those are my best guesses as far as a simple fix. Semi-auto repeaters rely on spit second timing to properly function. If the shell is a fraction of a second slow, the bolt will close and the next shell will be left in the magazine. It will do it on a pump too if a person is fast with the action.

3. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Panther, do you really lube your mag tube? I have never and will never, nothing collects dirt and powder residue like oil.

goosenazi likes this.
  4. bubba682

bubba682 Refuge Member

Lol i just had it happen i cleaned out the the elevater and now i think i'll do the mag tube got a hunt in the morn for geese then in the deer blind for hopefully a buck in the afternoon.

5. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

A weak magazine spring can also cause this. A simple fix is stretch the spring a little. What may be happening is the shell in the magazine tube is bouncing off the shell latch, due to recoil. Messing up the timing.

6. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This. Had the same issue with one of my Golds. Replaced the magazine spring and no more issues

7. blkduck

blkduck Senior Refuge Member

thanks, i will order a new magazine spring and see if that works

I have broken it down completely before and cleaned and it didnt make a difference

8. Jjm

Jjm New Member

Check the rubber buffer, cheap part. Difficult to find sometimes

9. Old Critter

Old Critter New Member

Yes, I agree entirely with Panther. Same cleaning process when a new magazine spring is installed. Yes, very light lube.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

I also agree with PM on the magazine tube maintenance as it's really no different than other components in the shotgun, in that regard.