Golden Millet Dealer?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by rdj.olympia, Dec 15, 2013.

1. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

I bought my golden millet last year thru MacksPW and this item has been discontinued. Does anyone else know of another source? Thanks

2. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

5-Oaks Wildlife Services. May not have the name exactly right. The owner is Jody Pagan in Stuttgart.

3. rdj.olympia

I have talked to the rep, Bailey Dickson, in the past and looked at 5 Oaks online but the smallest quantity they have online is 1500 lbs. Going to call them on Monday. Kind of surprised that Macks doesn't sell it anymore.

4. Rudder

I dealt directly with Jody and got small quantities (150lbs) with no problems.
    I can't say I was particularly impressed with the stuff...no different in my impoundments than much cheaper jap millet.

5. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

You can get what you want from Jody or you can save yourself some money and buy jap!!!!!!

6. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Senior Refuge Member

I have never tried golden millet, but I thought the seed heads were supposed to be bigger than jap? Is that not true?

7. rdj.olympia

I planted both this last spring and I must say the golden millet did much better in my opinion. I did make a few mistakes like seeding too heavy and not fertilizing early enough but was impressed with the golden. I planted biologic and the golden and no comparison the golden produced much better. Here is one of the heads and also below is the golden millet in the pond with about 5 inches of ice on the pond. The jap millet has long since fallen over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rudder

Mine did not produce seed heads as large as that! Maybe a few that big, but the average over the whole stand was more in line with jap millet. I am not saying the golden millet didn't produce a lot of seed...just not any more than the jap does. Maybe I planted too dense or something. End result is ducks are eating both! Good luck!

9. rdj.olympia

If you look in the first picture you can see some of the millet in the background that did not get nearly as big. I made two mistakes. I planted too much seed and did not get enough nitrogen on it. Even the stuff that didn't get fertilized if it was planted a little lighter did great and produced nice sized seed heads. Definitely planting again. Did not get nearly the as much forage from the jap millet.

10. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Senior Refuge Member

Thanks very much for sharing the pics! Those are some massive seed heads!

If you don't mind me asking, did you purchase yours from 5 Oaks, or someplace else? What is the seeding rate that you'd recommend to get those massive seed heads?