Golden retrievers

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Rogue Hunter, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Rogue Hunter

Rogue Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Never had a dog, as I worked so many hours. But, I plan to retire next summer (will be able to spend a lot of time with the dog) and really want to get a versatile hunting dog. I'm interested in ducks, pheasant, and grouse; grouse hunting first then pheasants, then ducks. And, for that matter, I don't know how much duck hunting I'll be doing. From reading on number of hunting BBS's, one dog may not be able to "do it all", but sure would like to try.

I don't need, or expect, a "top notch" champion, just a companion and hunting dog. How would a Golden-or other breeds-be as an all around gun dog?

Any comments on the Golden and/or suggests of other breeds, given my situation will be welcome.

thanks,
    Stephen

2. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I can’t give you any advice except this.
    Do your homework on a golden breeder with a background in hunting dogs.
    One of the best dogs I ever owned was a golden male. Versatile and good.
    Never went back because he seemed too never dry and collected every piece of vegetation possible.
    Great dog though.

3. Red dog retriever

Red dog retriever New Member

As said check your breeding and lineage. Get a hunting lineage with certified health reports. Expect to pay a bit more for a Golden but this will be your best friend for several years so to me money wasn’t an object.

They do get wet. They do collect burrs. They also get birds and will be a great addition to the family. Of course I’m a bit biased

2B9F8430-1B1C-4B72-8409-F062B5D7445A.jpeg

4. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Contact Evan G here on the forum.

5. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

Contact Darrell Frisbie out of Minnesota, he will guide you in the right direction.

6. Brack36

Brack36 Senior Refuge Member

A pointing labrador retriever will do everything you could possibly want in a dog sir.

7. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

So you want an upland hunter that could do a bit of duck hunting. Any of the spaniel or retriever breeds will do. I've owned and trained labs and ESS. I prefer ESSs. Look for something you can deal with as an all time companion and sometimes hunter.

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Very pretty dogs, ****le burrs like them.

9. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I'm on my 4th Golden. There are Goldens with field coats and show coats, big difference. I just had the feathers and belly trimmed on mine. The rest of her field coat is pretty short. They grow back and only need to be trimmed once a year basically. I wouldn't let grooming deter you from a Golden if you want one. I think MN has quite a few Golden breeders. I know when we were looking we saw some very nice Goldens from there. Be prepared for sticker shock for a well papered pup.

10. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

What's a well bred Golden going for??