Golf Cart Build

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by widgeon, Dec 19, 2018.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I'm thinking about acquiring a used golf cart and building a hunting buggy. Anyone have any experience or tips like the best brand/model/year to build, where to get parts, best upgrades to make, etc?

2. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Save the hassle and get a used side by side going to be same price by the time your done and then you will have 4x4

bullpinnie likes this.
  3. widgeon

Not to argue, but I've looked at used ones and don't see the savings. have you built one?

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Batteries and cold don’t mix well. Make sure you don’t have weak batteries before you go on an adventure. We have a 10k lb tug utility cart (essentially a golf cart, but heavier built). Batteries crap out about every three years. It’s a grand to swap them. Some of this cost is due to the way the govt purchasing system works, but mostly, batteries are expensive. The aftermarket suspension kits also get pricey, and as was said, you’re not gonna have 4WD in the golf cart, unless you drop as much money on a used SxS for something like a bad boy buggy.

However, if it’s what you’re set on doing, the cost shouldn’t be more than a used SxS when it’s all said and done. They are surely quieter than a SxS.

widgeon likes this.
  5. whaknMalrds

whaknMalrds Senior Refuge Member

That’s funny, we were just talking about this earlier this season. A buddy of mine has a family farm about 50,000 acres, he has 7 ponds on the property with corn all around. We were thinking if we get an electric golf cart they couldn’t hear us coming when we go jump shoot some ponds. And then the other ponds where they could see us coming, we could brush it in with corn stocks and hang out by the road in the cattails!

widgeon likes this.
  6. widgeon

Yeah, I've used a Kawasaki Mule and and electric utv. The mule is good for really rough stuff and will go anywhere, but it's loud. The electric is whisper quiet and will go anywhere I need to go.

The batteries are the downside. We get about 5 yrs .

The deal with a golf cart is I can get one cheap and start using it right away, then upgrade it as I go. I think it'll be handy around the yard too with my bad knees.

tcc and stevena198301 like this.
  7. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

My buddy welded a rack on the back of his that folds up so he can mount a small Honda generator on it. If it starts getting slow he cranks it up and charges on the go. He goes all over the place in his

8. widgeon

Never heard of that! Great Idea.

9. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

I bought a tricked out golf cart years ago. The ride really sucked and it would get stuck in mud pretty easily. Sold it and bought a Polaris Ranger which was about twice the cost of the golf cart but I'm really happy with it. Rides great, plenty of power and way more room. Buy once, cry once.

10. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

What about a gator?