Good Article- Expert Dog Trainer Robert Milner Says Heck No to Shock Collars

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by bigbrit, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Mike Boufford

Mike Boufford Elite Refuge Member

I have made it a hobby, and thoroughly enjoy driving master black belts absolutely bonkers. :dv It's part of my inner geek that no one who meets me would even think exists. :l

It's a good thing, and bear in mind that without improvement, disorder will occur sooner rather than later. Loosely, and analogically, the second law of thermodynamics can be said to apply.

As with martial arts, certain belt colors are given to equate to levels of competence; green is one of them. Yes, 6 sigma can be used to increase profit as well as improving overall efficiency in a process through the use of data. Can this be useful for determining the capability of a population of dog trainers? Maybe yes, and maybe no, but stick a distribution chart in front of me and first place I go is in the direction I went.

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I usually pretty much agree with your posts, but this portion is 100% Bull Excrement.

The finest, most generous, most helpful folks that I've ever met "out there" are FT & HT people.

3. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

That explains my subsconscious segue into Pablov & Skinner. Were you salivating or just "basking" in familiar territory? :l

4. Mike Boufford

Both? :eek: :l

5. eugene molloy

eugene molloy Senior Refuge Member

MG

Your question presupposes that the Villa actually have a defence; I think it's a questionable proposition though the good people of Bradford are in no doubt.:)

Mr Boufford .. I spent a fair part of my earlier career running statistical analysis on barrel plated parts, including the nickel thickness distribution on lead shot for trap shells. It was the stuff of nightmares. If a more tedious and boring way of earning a crust exists I don't want to know about it. Later on it was the multiple processing of hard disks, just as bloody boring and soul destroying. Thanks for the memories!!:mad:

Eug

6. Mike Boufford

Barrel plating - that brings back memories.

We are using 6 sigma against some of our casting suppliers who just don't seem to have a handle on porosity if you can believe that. Root cause analysis can actually be fun when it comes to negotiation leverage.

7. boykinhntr

boykinhntr Elite Refuge Member

I might have gone a touch to far but it is my experience that it is "my way or the Highway". I reated in response to DMans post which was shocking to me. All I read on these forums is that British dogs suck and the current training method most use is the one true path. It's interesting that I have been told numerous times that steadying a young pup is stupid. It's a non collar technique used by many. Then Hillmann (a collar guy) does it and it is the best thing ever. Just an example. ..

I understand that my training is a hodge podge and probably not the best. I use a little of everything. I am not anti collar. Rooster is CC. However there is something about it I just don't enjoy. I don't know why really. Im not under the illusion that they are cruel or anything. Certainly they are not. They are the greatest tool in training. But the "zap":nutz the fun out of training so I don't use them much after CC for OB.

8. rbr

rbr Elite Refuge Member

As contentious as this thread has been NOBODY has said anything close to "british dogs suck" or even Milner's methods suck. And the same goes for the Wildrose threads over the years.

Somehow every time complaints are made regarding the claims these guys make people read into it critism about the dogs. And in truth it is they who claim their dogs are superior and American Field breeding and training is less than worthy. That was the intent of Jrs troll from the very beginning of this thread.

In a training group context where everyone in the group needs to have a standard in order to run the set ups what is elitist?

Sorry, I don't get it.

Bert

9. boykinhntr

boykinhntr Elite Refuge Member

I don't mean this as smartass but I didn't expect many to get it. There are lots a good folks on this board and others. I appreciate the advice from everyone. It's just my experience.

10. HarryWilliams

HarryWilliams Elite Refuge Member

I've never thought of myself as being elite. Kinda like the sound of that. Got my head high and my chest out. I don't think I'll ruin it by going to the dictionary and looking up "elitist".

Oh, I say to each his own. HPW