Good news for next season-

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by JRS, Dec 17, 2016.

1. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

It's basically take your medicine now, or take it next season... Had they used this season's info to set this season's limits (as they had in the past), we'd only have 1 sprig this season. They figured out that our bag limits are conservative enough that a 1 season lag between changing limits to respond to population numbers isn't going to have any appreciable effect on the populations.

I for one like the idea of knowing what we will have as far as limits, season length, etc. before I spend a bunch of money on a lease, new decoys, new sitka jacket, reservation applications, type A season pass, etc...

JRS likes this.
  2. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

They've found that it doesn't, which is why they have moved to the current procedure.
    It certainly is the job, but it affects more than just the people who crunch the numbers. It costs the states lots of money to have special meetings to adopt regulations that fit within the federal guidelines and many times make changes after the waterfowl season has already started (remember that many states begin their waterfowl seasons in the beginning of September). According to all their models, using last year's data instead of the current year's has no significant impact on populations and has the added benefit of relieving the states of the financial burden that using the current year's data creates for them.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

We are duck hunters, and bitching is what we do... I have complained to the wife, but she does not seem to care what the current sprig limits are.:nutz

I will write someone and complain, as well as request some degree of accountability... Not much else we can do outside of stick our head in the sand and accept it.

4. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

As an individual we have very little power to change this. Only through a collective group do we have a chance of making an impact. Joining CWA and getting as many people as you can to do the same is a great start. Then doing whatever you can to help fill their bank account will help them keep working on projects like this for us:tu

5. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I'm ok with a 1 Pintail limit. If the science says 1 then we take 1. This is what some were told when advocating lowering the mallard limit so if we go with the biologists recommendation on one then we should go with it on the other. Learn how to deal with it.

Looks pretty bad when we selectively always choose what gives us the most. Until someone smart enough can figure out how to persuade the Feds we live with their biology. So when folks get hammered by hypocrites on this forum for suggesting lowering the mallard limit then don't turn around and bitch about the Pintail limit. Either way we have to go with the Feds biology.

If the limit of ducks dropped to 4 with 3 mallards and 1 pin maybe some of these punk ***, energy drinking, flatbill, Snapchat posting, big tailpipe diesel driving, white duck shooting muthas would leave the sport. Let's get back to hunting for the love of hunting again, regardless of what the bag limit is.

6. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

If it dropped to 4 I still wouldn't limit most days :dv

Interesting stuff in this thread. This will really make a difference for the rice guys. Hopefully breeding improves and we get the numbers back up.

I'll be hunting regardless.

callinfowl likes this.
  7. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

One more bird isn't going to scare me out of the rice.

If your a ricer and not going back I'll buy your N&B's,Battleships,and G&H mags.

8. DuckSLu7

DuckSLu7 Senior Refuge Member

Truly disappinting. I thought we were working towards 3... Good thing you can shoot 4 a day in canada!!

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I think we all are on the same page...

The question is, are we basing the limits off of legitimate science or politics? Will decreasing the limits to 1 bird have any effect on population dynamics, or is it "feel-good" regulation?

Other species at far lower numbers that are far more susceptible to hunting pressure (due to behavior that makes it easier for them to be harvested) and limits are the same or greater...

And, do not be too eager to dissuade an enthusiasm for hunters or hunting... Hunting is quickly becoming an elitist sport, and without the support of enthusiastic hunters it is far more likely that we could lose either the resource or privilege, or both of hunting.

Yet another aspect to consider, is that when pintail limits drop, clubs will change habitat to improve the hunting of other species. We have already seen fluctuations in the amount of open water habitat due to both bird numbers and harvest regulations…

I would love to hear from an informed biologist as to the actual effect of hunting pressure on the population dynamics. I think if the science is there, that the vast majority of us would be on board… If the science supports increased harvest, we should push for it…

Specktacular likes this.
  10. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Marc, if you want a biologists opininion read the CWA post. Their position is supported by their biologists. They believe the population can handle additional harvest and are working to prove it. But those things take time and money. And until they have enough money and time to do the studies, we must support the science. If you want change, volunteer and help make it happen!