Good or bad experiences with JD Gator 6x4

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by stevena198301, Jun 19, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

As the title states, looking for opinions on old 6x4 Gators. Wanting something to creep around the yard and river land with. Are they dependable? Parts easily available? Easy to work on? Etc...

2. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

A friend of mine has one. it has been very dependable. It is not great to drive in the swamp/ marsh. It sits pretty low, so its easy to get stuck on small levees, or just get high centered in general. My buddy's is probably at least 20 years old and runs like a top. not much maintenance has been required. Of course the brakes don't work, but we don't drive it at high speeds either.

SW opening day .jpg

3. stevena198301

Are brakes notorious for going out on them? My buddy said his Polaris ranger e-brake is useless. I’m on a good slope down at the river bottom.

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

only if you drive them in the water.

5. stevena198301

Ah... none of that!

bullpinnie likes this.
  6. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Back in the summer of 06 & 07 we had a couple gators we ran around in at a campground I worked at. For all the abuse given to them I only had an issue once. I was cleaning fire pits and I went to drive to the next one, but it wouldn't go in gear to go forward. Threw it in reverse and high tailed it back to the shop (the looks I got from campers was pretty funny). Replaced a bolt that broke and I was on my way again.

Eventually they got replaced with side by sides.

7. no harm-no fowl

no harm-no fowl Senior Refuge Member

I've use one quite a bit working for the state, it never gave us a problem, in fact I went out and bought a newer model.

8. stevena198301

Thanks guys. Wife is really interested in getting some sort of SxS. I'm not in the mindset to go out and buy one the kids can destroy, ripping up and down the hill. I want slow, steady, and dependable.

9. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

We had a JD Gator back quite a few years ago like you are looking at and the picture that someone posted. The 1st thing I'd say is the lack of speed and ride comfort because atleast the one we had, top speed was 15 or 25 mph I believe and the back 4 wheels have no shocks. The dump box is nice would be the biggest positive of them along with low maintenance.
    Since the Gator, we've had a Ranger 500 and now a Ranger XP 500 and those machines are totally different then the Gator as far as comfort and capability. The new Gators are a much improved rig as well.

If concerned about speed, I know atleast on the Ranger's you can get a speed key that limits its speed to under 25 or something like that for when the kids drive it but allows you to use its full speed with a different key.

stevena198301 likes this.
  10. stevena198301

Simplicity was the plan. I hear they are tough.

If I see a really good deal on a Ranger, I’ll keep that in mind.