Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Good Reports From Saturday

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Deadrise, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

Heard good reports from Saturday. Most of my friends shot a fee ducks each. One of our spots did not produce due to ice. Had another spot over-perform with Gadwall. Today’s hunt was not quite as rewarding. Saturday the river sounded like the “old days” with substantial shooting. Took the long boat ride and was surprised at the number of hunters with multiple mojos. I guess I’m old. I still rely on a jerk string. Looking forward to the marathon between now and the end of Jan.

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Slim pickings at my spot. Just didn't see much Saturday or today. Really not worried anymore about it. Will hunt every day till season closes...I will have my day sooner or later!

3. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Contrary to Deadrise, and in agreement with LR, my area was subdued in shots heard and groups hunting. I did not hunt, but was home all morning, and heard only four groups hunting off the river in the area where I live. Only heard a couple dozen to thirty shots, and those were in the first forty five minutes after shooting time. Rest of the morning was silent as far as shots heard...think the combination of hard freeze (one of the guys I hunt with was frozen out) in the shallow waters and the warm, southeries that came up by 9 am kept the ducks down. Was at the house all morning.
    Heard two volleys of shots this am, around 7:15/7:20, and those were from the same location. That was it till 9:am, when I left the house.
    Geese are thick.
    Hunting a few times this week in different areas, so we'll see how it goes...always beats not going.

4. mebe007

mebe007 Refuge Member

Had a 8 or so work us before LSL then nothing but bufflehead the rest of the day.

5. tankdog78

tankdog78 Senior Refuge Member

Williamsburg. I hunt on the eastern shore and Lan
    Hiked 5 miles in with a dozen decoys, blind bag, thermos, chest waders and lunch got to the beaver pond I had scouted two weeks prior that was loaded with ducks to find it frozen. Broke inch thick ice to put decoys out they froze up a half hour later. One of my buddies who came with me saw three woodies high, I saw a flock of geese high and we heard shooting on the main river. It was rather unproductive, I hope that this feeeze didn’t move all the ducks I had seen there out for the season if so then it is on to my open water spots to pound on the bufflehead and hopefully a blue bill or even a can. When I got back to the truck from hiking ten miles round trip with a decoy bag and gear I was pooped, my damned feet are killing me today.

6. Norfbay

Norfbay Elite Refuge Member

1 snog.

waterpig likes this.
  7. imaduckin up north

imaduckin up north Senior Refuge Member

God never made a duck that I would walk 10 miles for

creedsduckman likes this.
  8. The Hilljack

The Hilljack Elite Refuge Member

Got invited on a goose hunt in the Southern James Bay Zone on Saturday morning.

9. top o va

top o va Senior Refuge Member

How did you do? Limits all around I'm sure.

10. Duckrussml

Duckrussml Senior Refuge Member

No in till this morning...