Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Good Stalk Eh?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by canvasbackcrusher, Jan 16, 2009.

1. JDK

JDK Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

I hear lots of hunters calling them sky carp. So decoying them or jump shootin. they are saving the Tundra bird by bird.:tu

2. Doemsomedamage

Doemsomedamage Elite Refuge Member

hey thanks for the advice,:scratch:l I know the deal..not knockin decoyin birds..more so defendin stalkin em...point is we all need to kill em when we can on properties we have legal permission to do so on. The terrain around here isn't really that great for stalkin em. It's not like AR where there's more ditches and levees to work with..so when an opportunity arises experience has told me to get em. Like I said I see it as a needed chance to thin out the snowgeese..in addition to settin up a decoy spread when possible.

3. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Be careful what you wish for ...

Once the population is pulled in line
    hunting - really working??
    starvation and disease - I suppose that is what it will come to

Back to a 100 day fall/winter season only with a limit of 5 birds/day

..... no e-callers or spring hunts,

4. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Sneaking and pass shooting kill a greater %% of adult breeders ... thus have a great impact at reducing the population now rather than a few years down the road ...

Less adult geese = less gooslings = less impact on the most damaged areas of the tundra this year. Every hen breeder goose killed reduces the total population by another 3 - 6 birds.

That said maybe decoying geese should be outlawed so that the sneakers have more fields to chose from. :no:yes:h

5. canvasbackcrusher

canvasbackcrusher Senior Refuge Member

killing the geese they killed will not have THAT much of an impact on the snow/blue goose population........now if everyone starts killing 100's of mature geese will affect the population much more. But having millions and millions snow geese today i dont think in our lifetimes we will see a non conservation season.......but if everybody and their brother just decides to kill snow geese by the 1000's there will be a problem. Most people you talk to in the area i live in dont care if they kill a snow goose. but who knows i could be wrong, but i hope the unlimited season never ends

6. DUCKN8R

DUCKN8R Elite Refuge Member

great job guys...ill be in arkansas in 2 weeks for 4 days of crawlin ditches,,
    and for all u anti ditch crawlers this pic is for u:tu

Attached Files:

7. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Do I detect a bit of elitism among a few of the decoy-only crowd? Kind of like what exists with some in the fly fishing fraternity?

I love to fly fish but will gladly troll or bait if that is what it takes.

I would not pass up a ditch sneak if that is what it takes.

8. canvasbackcrusher

canvasbackcrusher Senior Refuge Member

LOL thats a good one right there:dv:tu

9. duckhuntingUSA

duckhuntingUSA Elite Refuge Member

Totally agree. :clap

Nice shooting. I think thats cool! I got no problem with sneaking / jumping, especially if its legal. Round here usually isn't ditches, usually open field stalks. If you can crawl across a cut corn field 200 yards to a big flock of snows and get close enough to get a shot, in my opinion ya got skills.

Best I ever did was 8 with one shot, been trying bout 17 years to beat that and haven't, sounds like you definitely did. :bow

Getting a bit old for them long crawls myself. Using the dog now. Crawl up with the dog trailing, get like 50 60 yards out and send the dog.
    Throw um in the sled and let the dog take um to the truck. Works for me.:tu

Just one opinion.
    Ain't it great to live in America!
    Different strokes for different folks.

10. Duck Fever

Duck Fever Elite Refuge Member

Elitists are funny to listen too. Birds need to get hammered. I've always found it fascinating to sneak with in shooting range of ANY quarry. Let alone thousands of birds. That's a lot of eyes that have a chance to spot you.

Too bad the boys violated doing it...:reader