Good to be back home...

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Mar 25, 2017.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Got home Thursday afternoon. Packed. Friday morning 0230 wake-up. Hunted some new land Friday morning. Nothing... Not even a peep. Around 0900, moved around the small property, and heard a hen. She would respond, but going away from me the whole time, to a big reclaimed strip mine area. Oh well.

Went to my river property and set up for a rainy Saturday morning. Blind up in what I knew would be the best spot. Brushed with cane poles that I bush hogged last year. Staked down to absorb wind. Stuck all my stuff in it for Saturday morning. Easy, quiet walk down to the blind.

Buddy gets here around 2200. I'm getting heavy enough into some fireball. Get to bed around midnight. 0500 wake-up.

Easy, quiet walk to the blind. No lights. Sky is opening up(?).

Decoys out, 19 yards. Nap time. Wake up with the birds. Sit around... Nothing...

0745. Sitting there, decide to eat. Look up, there's a turkey! One hen, 5 yards from our decoy. Where'd she come from?

0752. Start hearing stuff around us... More hens. This goes on until about 0820. After it's all said and done... 10 hens, all within 5-30 yards. Dusting. Feeding. Yelping. Doing all the right hen stuff...

0820. Everything starts to change... Hens group up, head southeast of us, all at once. Hmm.... I say.

0825. There he is! Full strut, coming from... Our camp site, up the hill where we walked from. All I can focus on is that pendulum swinging in front of him. What a rope!

He comes down, and every body knows he's boss... They went to him. He spent the next 20 minutes doing some stuff behind a bush that's better left unsaid with several of those hens...

Finally, he comes out from behind his pine tree to bedroom, and looks across the field to see my hen and Jake decoy.

Well, that's enough... Back to full strut we go... Luckily, I got it on video. He comes over to the decoys, and is wound up! Shot him before he had a chance to beat up my decoy. Never flinched...

Forgive the awful pic. New phone and new picture taker.

11 1/8" beard
    5/8 spurs
    21 lbs

KIMG0093.JPG

2. stevena198301

KIMG0102.JPG

3. stevena198301

Also forgot to mention... This bird was the first ever killed off my river land. Missed an opportunity last year to kill two, but got busted. This bird never made a sound. Very quiet morning.

KIMG0080.JPG

4. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

nice hunt and fun times. Killed a couple last weekend in north Florida so waiting now for the Tennessee opener.

5. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Great goin' .. do you really need all that cane around your blind??

Sure sounds like a picture perfect hunt, for sure:tu

6. verminater71

verminater71 Refuge Member

7. stevena198301

I'm not sure what the minimum shoulda been, but I know the turkey didn't mind that setup at all. Hens were back again there this morning. Still there now.

8. stevena198301

Thank you sir.

verminater71 likes this.
  9. burgawboy

burgawboy Elite Refuge Member

Congrats. Our youth season opens in NC this coming weekend..also coincides with opening day at the ballpark for my daughters softball.

10. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Good job! I haven't heard a gobble yet. very strange as warm as it's been.