Goose breasts.......again

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by OneShotBandit, Dec 13, 2013.

1. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Guys (and Gals), I had some Canada goose breasts thawed so I sprinkled some onion soup dry mix, 1 cup water, covered and baked at 250 degrees for 3-1/2 hrs. It tasted great, but was pretty tough, my question is: would cooking in a crock pot for 7-8 hrs tender things out? Thx.

2. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Soak them in Tenderquick first.

3. VA. Duckin

VA. Duckin Senior Refuge Member

Never heard of Tenderquick so I looked it up.

Is this the same stuff?

"Morton? Tender Quick? mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton? Tender Quick? mix can be used interchangeably with Morton? Sugar Cure? (Plain) mix. It is NOT a meat tenderizer.

CAUTION: This curing salt is designed to be used at the rate specified in the formulation or recipe. It should not be used at higher levels as results will be inconsistent, cured meats will be too salty, and the finished products may be unsatisfactory. Curing salts should be used only in meat, poultry, game, salmon, shad and sablefish. Curing salts cannot be substituted for regular salt in other food recipes. Always keep meat refrigerated (36? to 40?F) while curing."

4. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

Resist the urge to cook past medium rare. I always tell people to eat duck and goose as rare as you can stand to. When grilling/pan-searing/roasting breasts, I make sure to trim away the membrane on the top, and the tough silver skin near where the wing joint was. This will keep the breast from shrinking up into a "hockey puck". Slicing it thin will also shorten the fibers and help keep it tender.

Season simply with salt, pepper, garlic, and maybe a little worcestershire sauce.

Grill hot and fast to rare/med rare, rest for 5 minutes, and slice thin (think London Broil) and serve with a horseradish fold.

Flying Prime Rib

5. Kudu

Kudu Senior Refuge Member

-Slice whole goose breast into 1/2" thick steaks

-Run sliced goose breast steaks through meat tenderizer or beat the crap out of them with a meat hammer

-Take soup plate and add two raw eggs and a 1/4 cup of milk ( scramble up egg and milk with fork)

-Take second soup plate - add 4 table spoons of "Montreal steak spice" and equal amount of bread crumbs

- Drag tenderized goose breast through egg mixture, then drag trough breadcrumb/steak spice mixture, making sure it's completely covered like a schnitzel!

-fry in hot skillet until centre is pink

-serve with spiced rice and green salad - a chilled "Pinot gree" will always compliment the meal :yes

(My kids and all their mates absolutely love "chicken fried Goose" done this way, costs me a fortune in shells to keep up with feeding them.)

6. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Short answer: yes.

I can tell how tender a goose will be when I'm cleaning it. Pay attention to how the meat cuts. The tender ones I will grill/bake/fry/etc. The tougher ones I will crock pot. Cube and make stew/chili/stroganoff in crock. Crock then pull then use for whatever. When doing this, I season after I shred the meat.

7. john5657

john5657 Senior Refuge Member

I crock pot them on low all day. They are falling apart and falling off of the bones by the end of the day. I usually do 2 breasts plus the thighs and legs. Good stuff.

Having goose italian sausage spaghetti for eats tonight.

8. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    You can do it in a regular oven, too. Lowish heat for 5-7 hours.:)

9. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

Slice goose meat thin, place in pan with sauteed onions and peppers and finish with a drizzle of soy sauce. Cook long enough to sear the outside of meat and then enjoy. Works every time.

10. ALLSTAR 1

ALLSTAR 1 Elite Refuge Member

a goose breast in the crock pot;browned the breast filets in butter with onions, garlic, cooked in 2 cups chicken broth on high for 6 hrs. This was a big ol honker and he was just right. Did the "pulled pork" thing by shredding with a fork and then mixing with a bottle of my favorite bbq sauce. Excellent on a bun with dill pickle and potato salad!