Goose butts.....

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by negooseman, Dec 11, 2017.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

How many guys use goose butt decoys in their floater spread? How many do you use? Do you feel they are truly helpful or you just bought them and toss them out cause you have them?

2. Greentops

Greentops Senior Refuge Member

We use them about every hunt. There visibility is incredible from a distance. Depending how far away you are from your setup at times there the only thing that can be seen. We own 2 dozen and run 8-24 depending on the number of goose floaters were running. I don't think They do anything but help visibility. So In that aspect I do feel they've helped. We've owned several different brands but recently bought the fully flocked ones from hardcore on sale at 29.99 a pair and I have been extremely impressed by them thus far with probably 30 plus hunts over them. We sold all the others we had and just kept 2 dz of these.

Dean Nelson and GK1 like this.
  3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Visibility is the biggest reason as stated. Don't think it hurts to make it look like food is available either. Either way I like a realistic spread if for no more reason then it gives me confidence.

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I have some and I can't prove they work,BUT I also have 8 Tanglefree Pintail duck butts and have landed geese in them many times,usually without goose floaters out.
    Like what was said earlier,it's probably a visibility issue.

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

We use them a lot. When the ground is frozen we need to use a torch to soften the ground to get the keel shoved in. A little extra work , but well worth it.

6. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Run them on a jerk cord, you can make them dance...especially on those still days. :tu

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Not to mention that they add numbers to a spread well taking up little room in the boat.

8. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

I only have two and mostly use them with a couple goose floaters while hunting ducks on the water.This year we had really good luck on geese over the water .I have a spot I can see from the road that the geese hang out at and when looking for them I always see the white butts first.I might not be bright but that told me something...lol.Getting more next year and replacing the 6 floaters that got stolen.
    what can it hurt if you have the room ?

9. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The extra room is my issue. The spot I really like to hunt for geese on water is a spot you must carry everything in.

10. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

I know it's all about location and maybe the birds were young ans stupid and maybe this and maybe that but we had several flocks decoy to our duck spread and some fly by for a look that was there last using our duck spread and two floaters and two butts.They were for confidence and the geese sucked them up even with the drake spinner ,spinning away.