Goose call operating speed

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Peter Goodman, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Refuge Member

First, still learning. And started later in life. Have listened to Bad Grammer two years while engaging in what is apparently not distracted driving n our state. Never had a problem turning over a honk, decent moan and murmur, single cluck or even a double click if not too fast. But can't seem to progress past "not too fast". Have not gone crazy on the call collection thing, but do have three, two from local makers and one Field Proven Poly Rapter. Pretty much same result all around. I see some calls advertised as "faster" but also see videos of Trevor for example using his Hunter grade Overload that he advertises as good for beginners rolling right along. And I DO know that in my lifetime I will neither have that talent or the time to put in the hard work to get to where you can win two straight Worlds. Just trying to be better caller.

On another thread re best short reeds a comment was made about getting older and not being able to push the air as much as in the past... Hate to acknowledge this but is age (63) maybe at least part of the issue? Have never been an equipment fix guy, preferring to think that if I only practiced more at anything... But is there some drill I can work on to gain speed, a different call, or do I stick to good moans and single clucks or not so fast double clucks and maybe that is enough to hunt with? And for what it's worth not like I am exactly out of shape - ran 8 miles two days ago so must have some wind in me...

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Shawn Stahl covered a drill in Honker Talk video,where you essentially sound like a European type siren, it is supposed to help build speed over time.
    I never could get the hang of the sound,but found blowing a call at least 30-45 minutes a day the past 25 years,eventually speed comes with practice.

Its the Indian,not the arrow

3. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Calling is so situational. Stick with what you know. I kill most of my geese by trying to communicate with a single bird in the flock. Usually trading single clucks with that goose. If that works, thats pretty much how I'll finish them. If it doesn't, I'll switch it up....maybe throw the kitchen sink at them.

all that being said, my go-to set-em-in-the-decoys call is a fast ( what I call) backwards double cluck.

4. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

rolling double clucks, stacked triple clucks, now mind you, speed kind of comes at a cost, someone running a goose call fast is easily picked out from live birds.
    But sometimes you need to exaggerate, sometimes you need to be more birds, because sometimes you aren't on the x and realism doesn't necessarily matter.
    The call doesn't magically sound different, just the manner with which it is used leads to more human than goose in flow/volume and so on, again, not necessarily a bad thing.

You've got to find your flow and what allows you to stack notes quickly, I do a rolling double cluck where the first cluck is done starting with the back of my tongue, tip somewhat anchored behind front teeth, and as I roll into the second cluck, the second cluck is done with the front/tip of my tongue. Kind of a gut-dut, that natural roll of the tongue, back starts, tip cuts off which means starting the next note with that tip, because it's already up, is easier and quicker and allows me to flow the rolling double better.

It's finding your flow, like that, that will help you build speed and notes. Add another cluck on top of that rolling double for a stacked triple, come out of it with a rolling spit double cluck and it's five notes in essentially a 3 note effort/rhythm. Musically probably explained completely incorrectly, but I'm not a musician.

Going for broke with speed can also cost you and create bad habits, now if you don't ever touch the stage, it may not matter and be a moot point, but if you do, it can get you cut quick.

So playing around with what notes flow well into others can help you flow more smoothly and allow you to generate speed. Moans, spits, turkey notes, clucks, honks, trains, double clucks, rolling doubles and so on
    Every note you can't do, limits you, every new note you learn gives you another opportunity to add flow and increase speed. Not all of this is needed to kill geese all the time, some may say ever, I don't hunt the x, some of this stuff has proven invaluable to me.

5. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Few years ago I asked Shawn Stahl how to do a spit note. Short version, he said don’t waste your time and be really really great with clucks and moans. He demonstrated with a variety of both mixed together and changed pitch and speed and sounded great.

DrakeStar likes this.