Goose Calling help

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Smon, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Smon

Smon New Member

First year hunting geese and need a little help with the calling. I tried to find a class in my area, but no luck. I know the best help would be from a person who knows what they are doing, but I don't know anyone else who goose hunts.

I understand the different calls, and have watched countless youtube videos, but I am not even sure if my basic technique is correct. So is there a preferred online series or DVD that you guys would recommend?

Mainly having an issue with the come-back/spit notes. Can't seem to get it high enough...more like a weird cluck.

I am using a Canada Hammer II and also have a cheaper Honky Tonk call.

Have a couple buddies who have calls and they are worse than I am. Ha! So when you are in the field with a couple others, does only one person call? Or do you have each person make a single noise (laydown, feeding, etc.)?

2. Randy_Cesco

Randy_Cesco Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Bad Grammer, Scott does a GREAT job in explaining as well as proper air presentation. Go to the Molt Gear website. I believe you can order it off of there. Good Luck!!

3. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

^^^^^^what he said. Murph.

4. Smon

Smon New Member

Ok, about to order and see there is a Bad Grammar DVD and also a Basic Grammar DVD. Does Bad Grammar go over the basics as well...or do I need to pick up both?

5. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Get the Bad Grammar,instead of the basic one.

jzoo and Smon like this.
  6. Randy_Cesco

Randy_Cesco Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

^^^^^What he said :D

7. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

+1 on the Bad Grammar

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  8. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Refuge Member

The more guys that call the better (as long as they are decent callers). Especially if the geese are pressured. Some of the area's I hunt are the most pressured spots in the country. Four-five good callers kill more geese then one. It's night and day. When calling with multiple guys one guy needs to lead and the others have to follow. If the lead guy gets aggressive everyone else follows and vice versa. The lead guy needs to be the best person at reading birds.

Bad Grammar is good but so is Honker Talk by Shawn Stahl. You really just need to practice and you'll figure it out.

9. Smon

Smon New Member

Thanks for the tips! I have Bad grammar in the mail along with the Goose Society DVDs (thanks Duckslayer!).

It didn't take much, but I was also talked into buying a good call.

10. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

This is not always the case. The way I grew up hunting 1 good caller was what you wanted. We hunted small realistic rigs and laid back realistic calling. 1 good caller could easily replicate the sounds of the size group of decoys we used. Too many people calling was a bad thing

Wareagle1 likes this.