Goose calls that "changed the game"

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by tornadochaser, Jan 11, 2017.

1. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

The "most important calls" thread got me thinking; what models of goose calls do you think made enough "noise" in the marketplace that they had a lasting impression on the industry? For me it would be the following in no particular order:

My thoughts behind this is each of these calls created long term lasting followings, or at the time of their release, created significant interest/hype, use, and discussion.

Saunders Traffic
    Grounds Supermag
    Grounds Triple Crown
    Zink Moneymaker
    Sean Mann Eastern Shoreman
    RNT Dirtybird

Roy G. likes this.
  2. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

I agree with your choices. I feel that I must add the GK LG-1, Grounds Real Thang and Zink COD to the list. I also believe that Molt Gear is beginning to carve an impression in the latest Industry marketplace.

3. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

A-50 olt, Hess shortreed, knight n hale tube call eastern shoreman, halfbreed, Supermag, traffic shore thing and I'd say triple crown guts. Many fantastic calls out now. Thus is in chronological order I think????

Nocalhonker and OneShotBandit like this.
  4. tom

tom Senior Refuge Member

I think you have to include Hess Goose Call..It helped start the short reed " noise "

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'm surprised you included RNT's Dirty Bird, which gets my vote for "most underrated". Still have one I much prefer to the more recent RNTs I've tried.

6. Randy_Cesco

Randy_Cesco Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

My choices were already mentioned....

7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

OLT A-50, Shoreman, Hess, and Triple Crown guts are the only ones that "changed the game." You basically had a step up from long reeds, an increase in range over traditional flutes, the first short reed, and the first mass produced broken in guts. Everything else is just slight tweaks and design changes of these, not game changers IMO.

8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'm good with most of those, but K&H Double Cluck should be in the mix. That took the short reed to the masses.

obx-dux, DEADEYE and Keith McGowan like this.
  9. Roy G.

Roy G. New Member

I'm a complete newbie on waterfowl, when did short reeds become popular?

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'd say you started seeing them pretty regular in the mid-90s. Mag Clucker and Double Cluck were the most common for several years. Popular contest short reed early on was Mag Clucker insert and guts in a K&H Owl Hooter barrel. Halfbreed came out around that time too, but opinions differ on it being a short reed. Obviously Hess predates those, but they weren't widely known or used due to the nature of Charlie's business.