Goose Flag

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Zane, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Last season towards the end my old reliable flag finally broke after 6 years of use, so I bought an Avery flag to replace it. It lasted 4 hunts before it broke and I never bought another one since season was ending. This season my buddy bought another Avery flag, it lasted about 3 hunts before it broke, so I go and buy another Avery flag, that's all I can find at our local Running's store. And you can probably guess it, it didn't even last the second use. All flags are stored in the blinds when not in use, it's not like they are just getting tossed around to break and being $30 a flag its adding up quick. I kept the receipt this time and will be returning it. What goose flag would you guys recommend?

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I''ve got 2 Averys that are in their fifth season...but they feel like they are running out of 'pop'.

Next flags I buy I think I am just going back to the good old basic Flag Man flags.

3. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Don't if they still sell them but I have a Foiles flag that is at least 10 years old that works well. I did tape a PVC extension handle(bout 3 feet) on it to get it up higher out of the laydown blinds. Have an Avery flag that is probably 4 years old with no issues but hardly ever use that one.

4. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Tangle free makes a great flag. Very well made and will last. It's a larger flag than most which makes it show up better. Only negative is due to the size it will flat wear you out if you're flagging a lot. I have two that we use out of permanent pits. I think they are too large for laydown blind use.

5. 30# MERGANSER

30# MERGANSER Refuge Member

We went back to the old 2x2 black flag we see a lot more interest than the T flags gotta change it up sometimes

HONKSRWORKN and Keith McGowan like this.
  6. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

7. QuinnNadu

QuinnNadu Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The Feet Down Hand Flag is by far the most durable. You can beat the hell out of them. They dont use cheap fiberglass like everyone else.

8. Boo

Boo Refuge Member

We have always just used a 2x2 peice of black fabric. We just stich all the way around it and staple it to a dal rod however long u want.

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Call Randy at Flagman. I've been using his stuff for 20 years. Personally, I like the pole Kits and fiberglas poles. They have new metal poles, too, but i haven't tried them yet. Randy is a good dude, he is very knowledgeable , and fun to talk to.

10. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

I've used Avery's power flags for years. They hold up. I don't know if you've had bad luck or Avery's flags are less durable then they used to be. I've had one for 8 years. I've had no problems.

The first flag I owned was a Randy the flag man flag. The handle gave you blisters. This year I spray painted the wing tips white and used it as a mallard flag. It worked very well for ducks, but I didn't feel like it was the best goose flag mostly because of the handle design. Maybe the design has changed.

If you want to make sure your flag is top of the line make your own. All you need is black fabric and a good stick. :)