Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Goose hunting Saskatchewan.

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Lewx4, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Lewx4

Lewx4 New Member

After nearly 35 years hunting ND, we have finally decided to hunt Saskatchewan next year (2018). Any advice you guys could add would be greatly appreciated. We will be hunting around Quill Lake while staying in Humbolt.

2. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Take plenty of cash. The hotels in Humbolt aren’t cheap and you will be burning a lot of expensive gasoline. Also the food is Humbolt is lousy.

3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Double your fuel budget to start with. Longer distances between gas, food and lodging. Having hunted both places Sask is a better quality hunt but takes more money and will cost you time in travel and figuring out a new area. Nothing you don't know but it's big country and you're chasing a migrating bird. Not every field is the X and not every land owner is easy to find for permission.

4. drakecoot

drakecoot New Member

We stayed at the pioneer hotel this fall in Humboldt for $79 CAD that had 3 beds - more than sufficient for a hunting party......I wouldn't consider $25 USD per person that expensive. U will spend way more in gas then you think - that is true.

5. Lewx4

Lewx4 New Member

This being our first time hunting there. We planned on hunting the Quill Lake area but we were told hunting west of humbolt is just as good. Thoughts?? We’re planning on field hunts only.

6. theduckguru

Yea, you could probably scrape the nicotine off the the wall in the old wing in the pioneer.

Lewx4 likes this.
  7. drakecoot

drakecoot New Member

I hate cigarette smoke/smell with a passion and it wasn't an issue for me, didn't even occur to me that you could smoke in the rooms.

I have stayed in my fair share of rat trap hotel/motels, the pioneer isn't a one. Its fine guru, we must have different expectations of lodging on hunting trips. We leave the women at home :l

8. theduckguru

Oh, you haven’t stayed in a rat trap unless you stayed at the old Lagana down in Lanigan. The health dept shut that on down.

Maybe they put money in the Pioneer, but old old rooms used to be rather bad.

9. Lewx4

Lewx4 New Member

Great info from everyone, next question is Ammo/Weapons. How many rounds/guns would you bring with you for a 7 day hunt of ducks and geese?? I usual shoot B.B. for geese and 3’s for ducks. Thoughts??

10. kansasducker

kansasducker Senior Refuge Member

Don't make reservations and don't be tied to one area. If you show up and they just got 3" of rain, you'll want to move. Or, if there is no birds there, you will want to move. Pick a general area, get there and scout your tail off. Drive till you find birds and hunt that area. Might end up being 150+ miles away from your intended destination. IMO, that's the key to success up there.

WARTHOG likes this.