Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Goose hunting Saskatchewan.

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Lewx4, Nov 26, 2017.

1. ih2ofowler

ih2ofowler Refuge Member

I'd go anywhere besides the Quill Lakes. Its over crowded and you're going to end up competing for fields with 20 other guys thinking the same thing as you. Ive stayed in Lanigan at the Lagana Inn and hunted around there and never had trouble finding birds or fields. Stayed out near Quills once and got beat out to fields every day. Won't ever go back out that way again. Plenty of birds all over the Province, no reason to go to the most crowded place out there. Take the other guys advice and don't lock yourself into one hotel. Stay mobile so if its an early or late migration you can move North or South if you need to. We always go North or South along Route 11 depending on the weather. If the migration is late, head North. If the birds are down early head south. Plenty of places to stay and when you find the birds you'll know it. Just my $.02.

2. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Growing up on barbed wire in north Alabama, most of the area farmers/ranchers knew my parents/grandparents thus giving me access to thousands of acres in the "bend of the river" area. Like you, I asked permission and followed their instructions as well as policing up the area afterwards. Nonetheless, I still would drop off a mess of fish to selected ones in the off season as keeping the field "baited" didn't hurt and was reared that when you went to visit someone, you always took something with you.

3. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

You mean you used to not have trouble finding fields and birds around Lanigan until this post.

creedsduckman and CLS Posse like this.
  4. ih2ofowler

ih2ofowler Refuge Member

If you read my post you'd see where I said "I go North and South" now and don't stay in one spot so have at it out there! lol. Plus, theres plenty of birds to go around and once you get away from the crowded spots you'll never hear another shot and have no problem finding birds.

5. evanupnorth

evanupnorth Refuge Member

this is a bit funny to read.. sure makes me appreciate living here..

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I usually bring gifts at the end of the season to my farmers. Sometimes so nice smoked fish, fresh walleye, a bottle of their favorite, a gift card for dinner in town, or some nice sausage when we get it made. It doesn't cost much, and I appreciate the use of their land. For a lot of the guys, a handshake and a call to thank them means a lot. When I was hunting with my boys as youth hunters, they sent thank you cards .

7. Big Burt

Big Burt Refuge Member

When you live in Sk, There is a lot of reward when you get to know the people who own the land. I always double back with a little something. I tend to stay away from there favorite drink as this causes trouble with the Mrs. I do get a few calls from friends to help get the birds off of the swaths. It saves a lot of time scouting.
    Big Burt