Goose jerky and sausage

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by salthunter, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Hairshark

Hairshark Elite Refuge Member

Good info Native!

2. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

I want to kind of piggy back on this thread if I can. I'm wanting to make some summer sausage and brats with some ducks, geese and venison this winter. The kicker is I can't use any pork or beef at all due to my wife having Chrohn's disease and it would tear her stomach up. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks!

3. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

That's a tough one...maybe check with your local butcher/ meat market to see if there are any substitutes they could reccomend

coachcornbread likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Off the cuff, but what about lamb?

5. coachcornbread

coachcornbread Elite Refuge Member

Didn't think of that, but it sounds like a possibility.

6. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

I grind straight goose breast, don't add any other meat, use High Mountain and then smoke it.

I like the extra flavor and it doesn't get as dry as when I dehydrate. Pretty simple. Even the non-hunter friends love it.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Heavy-Duty-Grinder/1387520.uts

Grinder is a cheaper model Cabelas. Works great so far, much better than the old hand crank i was using.

7. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

When I made goose jerky we wouldn't grind just cut breast into strips rub in favorite seasoning. Smoke it and finish in oven to dry out a hair

Hogleg likes this.
  8. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks New Member

Coach I believe the Sausage Maker out of Buffalo NY used to have a fat substitute not sure how that would work. I just made 20 lbs of GOOSE summer sausage using Con Yager spices goes into smoker tomorrow AM. Their trail bologna mix is what i use for summer sausage people love it. their Hilbilly Jerky mix is the best i've found , their teriyaki Sucks! i cut venison/goose into strips then dehydrate. Good Luck

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Have any of you used the attachment for the Kitchen Aid? My wife has the Kitchen Aid already and that attachment isn't too spendy (less than $50).

10. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

SD, my in-laws have one and seems like it works fine for them. But they mostly do small batches of ground. So I'm not sure how much you would do at one time but seems like they are happy with it.