Goose jerky and sausage

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by salthunter, Sep 10, 2017.

1. boodog

boodog Senior Refuge Member

Yep. Works well on waterfowl that I grind up and then shoot for jerky.

sdkidaho likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

http://www.refugeforums.com/threads/kitchen-aide-meat-grinder-attachment.1002365/

As I recall from my reading, it grinds fine. Stuffing, not so much. I have a vertical stuffer anyway, and it is WAY better than any grinder. It IS an extra step, and not needed if you are going to do 10-20lbs a year. If you are going to do 50+, it is worth it.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

And to add to this- buy the biggest vertical grinder you can get. I got the 5lb LEM model and while it works just fine, I was kicking myself for not getting the 10 lb model after doing one batch.

4. bigrick_2u

bigrick_2u New Member

Don't use any spices at all, and goose jerkey makes great dog treats year round.

5. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

I totally goofed. I do my deer jerky like i described above. Goose breasts I slice with a slicer, partially frozen, to keep them uniform. Then season with High Mountain and smoke.

I don't like to grind the goose, don't care for the texture. Ground venison jerky is awesome.

marsh man dan likes this.
  6. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

I bought a Weston about 5 or 6 years ago. It was $100 and it has ground up a bunch of deer and turkeys. Never once had a problem with it. It was the realtree model. Hope this helps.

7. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

bigrick_2u, I can only imagine how lethal those dog farts are. I personally have been known to win many a farting contest with my goose sticks. Making those dog sticks has to be torture!! LOL

8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Just made 5 pounds of snow goose jerky on saturday. I grind all the meat twice with the coarse plate. For seasoning I use a million different recipes, from off the shelf stuff to random sauces and marinades. Toss in the appropriate amount of cure, let sit in the fridge over night, then shoot it on the trays, running at 150 degrees for 5-6 hours. This batch I made saturday I used Buffalo Wild Wings Mango Habenero sauce, Game Tamer marinade, and some BBQ rub I had left from smoking some boston butts a while back.

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

My buddy calls them Diarrhea sticks, they don't affect anyone but him that way but they do crank up the stench in the pit blind. :l:l:l
    I bought a used Westin about 20 yrs ago at a Goodwill store for $10 you could tell it was only used once or twice as it and the box were in perfect shape.
    That little grinder just keep chugging away it's not fast but it gets the job done, both grinding and stuffing. It's made hundreds of lbs of burger and sausage both bulk and link !

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

It seems as I grow older my stomach cannot handle jerky so well.
    I think a good summer sausage is the best use of various game and other meats.