Goose Jerky questions

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Hroonk, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Hroonk

Hroonk Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys. I made some goose jerky for the first time last week....I'm not overly impressed the results and have some questions.

First, I ground about 5 lbs of goose, then mixed it with some pre-mix stuff from walmart....I may have screwed up by adding about 3/4 lb of ground pork and mixing it though the grinder.

I let the mix sit for 24 hours, covered in the fridge. Then I shot the mix out of a jerky shooter and cooked in dehydrator for about 5 hours. I also tried some in the over at 150 degrees for 1 hr 20 minutes.....both batches didn't really appear "done" to me....the center of the sticks were redish and moist. The flavor still tasted very wild to me. To be honest, it just wasn't good.

I haven't totally given up on goose jerky yet, but am real close unless someone can offer up some other suggestions.

I'd really like to make honey sticks out of goose, but haven't found a recipe for that yet.

Thanks for any help.

Larry

2. I set my dehydrator on 145 (its my highest setting) and let it go for about 8-10 hrs. I like mine throughly dried out though.

Get Hi-Mountain seasoning. THey are great. You also shouldn't need to add any other meat. I use straight waterfowl and people dont believe it. The folks here at work love it.

3. Hroonk

Hroonk Elite Refuge Member

Thanks KC...just picked up some HM Hickory and will give it another go after Xmas.....hopefully with better results.

Question - how do you keep your jerky after it's finished? Room temp for a week or so and freeze the rest?

I've heard of guys putting it in the fridge.....seems like it would sweat in the fridge and add moisture to me.

4. Wiz Bang

Wiz Bang Senior Refuge Member

Here's what I've done. Taste great

10 lbs meat duck or goose, pheasant also works great
    1/3 cup worchestershire sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1 tsp onion salt
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1/3 cup tenderquick
    1 tbsp margaram
    1 tbsp accent
    1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tbsp black pepper
    3 tbsp liquid smoke
    3/4 cup brown sugar

Grind meat put into a large bowel. Mix all ingredients together and then add the meat. Mix it together with your hands.

I then place it on wax paper and roll out 1/4" thick I usually do a large couple hand fulls at a time.

Cut with a pizza cutter and place in the dehydrator 8-10 hours. If it's too dry it's not as enjoyable.

I love it.

5. I haven't had any last that long. If I take it to work it is gone before 11 am. Guys that arent even on ship find a reason to stop by and visit.

I am going to vacuum pack it and freeze it if we can get enough geese for me to make a whole bunch.

6. Texas Snow Goose

Texas Snow Goose Elite Refuge Member

Avoid the stuff from Wal-Mart.:fp

I've toyed around with making jerky out of goose for quite awhile. It took several failures before I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.

First of all, I wouldn't grind the meat. Now, this is my personal preference, but I don't think it's a necessary step.

Take the breasts and cut them into thin slices. You'll want to keep them approximately 5mm to 7mm in thickness if you're using a smoker but much thinner if you're gonna use a dehydrator. By the way, I'd avoid the dehydrator if you can smoke them. It'll result in better flavor, IMO.

Next, soak them in saltwater over a period of a couple days. Change the water each day. This is a very important step. Don't soak them without slicing them first. Doing so will not remove nearly as much blood. The blood, IMO, is what most people find unappealing in most goose jerkies.

Then, drain the meat thoroughly and season with Coarse ground black pepper, Season-All Salt and Cayeene pepper to taste. If you don't want numb lips, go easy on the peppers. You need to be fairly liberal with the Season-All, though, but not too much or it could get salty.

The meat can then be placed directly into a smoker or dehydrator.

This is the best and easiest recipe I come across and no one will be able to tell that's it's goose. They'll just assume it's beef.

7. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    Has anyone tried jerking Snows?

There are quite a few around now, but I pass on shooting them. Won't shoot something I won't eat (except varmints), and I really do not like roast snow. Reminds me of eating biroldi, TBH (although, oddly, I actually like biroldi).

I wouldn't mind getting a couple, but I would like to jerk them.

This is meant as no offense to the Snow gunners here, OK? To each, his own :)

8. BlindDuck

BlindDuck Elite Refuge Member

Almost all my duck and goose will get made into jerky. I don't grind the meat or add filler. Slice breast meat to desired thickness, soak in brine for 24hr, rinse, air dry for 1 to 2 hours. Dehydrate @ 145deg until desired dryness. I store in a covered jar for immediate eating and seal some in food saver bags, store in refrigerator. The majority of waterfowl I jerky are puddle ducks and Snowgeese.

9. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

I have done over a 130lbs this year, Hi Mountain seasoning, cut it with 80% lean ground beef, 20% to 50%. Grind into mixing tub, mix and let marinate over night. Regrind it through a 3 slot jerky head. Have a Cabelas commercial dehydrator that will hold up to 50lbs, I will do 25 to 50lbs at a time. Set the dehydrator at 160 dry for about 21 to 25 hours, Based on internal temp and flexibility of the meat. The most important part is to make sure the internal temp hits At least 135 for a minimum of 30 minutes. I store mine in the fridge and never had any luck freezing it.

10. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Use To****os gourmet sauce with extra ginger. Needs a light smoke too. I use a Bardley with cherrywood.