Goose Leg Recipes

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    Post 'em up, please. :)

If all you have is a duck leg recipe, that'll do. :tu

2. skunkhunter

skunkhunter Refuge Member

I corn my goose legs. With St Patrick's day on the horizon, give it a try.

For 3 or 4 pair of goose legs:

1 cup Morton's TenderQuick
    Enough water to cover meat
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, diced
    1 tablespoon pickling spice
    a couple bay leaves

Using a non-metallic container, mix everything together and pore over goose legs.
    Seal and put in refrigerator for at least a week. Drain, then put goose legs in cold water for a couple hours to lessen the saltiness. Then cook just like you would for corn beef, 2-3 hours at about 300 degrees, or, as I do, in a pressure cooker for about 45 minutes. When done pull meat off the bones, add potatoes and cabbage and cook till the potatoes are done, then enjoy.

3. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work

Sounds awesome!

4. TJP

TJP Senior Refuge Member

I have a bag of goose legs that are about to get corned.

5. Indian Isle

Indian Isle Senior Refuge Member

Slow cook them with onion and green peppers until you can shred the meat and then add bbq sauce and a lil crushed pineapple and put on a toasted bun with cole slaw. Yum

6. gold10

gold10 Senior Refuge Member

I use a bacon cure that I sprinkle on all sides of skinless legs/thighs and place in a plastic container for 2-3 days. After that I throw them in a crock pot with some water on low in the morning and by mid afternoon the meat falls off the bone. I then shred it/pull it like pulled pork and serve with bbq sauce on a bun.

7. geese4u

geese4u Elite Refuge Member

Use your favorite jerky brine (add a little extra time to get the brine to penetrate), smoke until it becomes "jerky with a handle". I will sometimes use 2-4 of these smoked leg and thigh pieces in the place of a ham hock in a pot of navy beans.

8. skunkhunter

skunkhunter Refuge Member

Now that sounds absolutely edible, geese4u. Gotta try that this fall.

9. Steve McCullough

Steve McCullough Refuge Member

Great thread!! I am heading to Manitoba in 3 weeks and look forward to goose legs. I really loved the ideas posted and am going to try these out!! My personal favorite is to make confit. This is a French dish and it is amazing!

Season goose legs with salt, pepper, fresh rosemary, ground coriander, pinch of cayenne pepper. Allow to rest over night in fridge with dry seasoning.

Place meat in a dutch oven and completely cover with extra virgin olive oil, add some sliced onion, minced garlic, and several bay leaves. You want the meat completely submerged in the oil. It will take nearly an entire large bottle.

Cover, and place in the oven at 200F for 8 hours. Pull meat out of the oil and shred. It will be amazingly tender. Serve however you like. Any left over meat, place in a tupperware container and cover the meat in the oil and refrigerate. It will keep in the fridge for up to 2 months. You can also freeze it and it will keep for a year.

I save the left over oil and then thaw it out and reuse it the next time I make the confit dish. Each time you use it, it adds more and more flavor.

I have never had someone turn their nose at this dish! :)

Very best,
    Steve

10. Indian Isle

Indian Isle Senior Refuge Member

Take the confit and place it on top of very, very thin potato slices layered on top of one another just slightly making a circle the size of a pancake. On top of the potato slices and confit put a thin layer of carmelized onion and mushroom. Then ad another thin layer of potato slices on top and fry until the potato is crispy. Both sides. This is delicious!