Goose Meat Pockets

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by WOODIE13, Oct 18, 2012.

1. WOODIE13

WOODIE13 Elite Refuge Member

Trying my hand at some goose meat pockets, made biscuit dough up, cooked up some thin cut goose until tender, added some fried taters, peppers, onions and cheese, will see how it turns out;)

Assembly process
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

Looks awesome... How did it turn out?

3. Duck Monster

Duck Monster Senior Refuge Member

Report?

4. ispfowler

ispfowler Senior Refuge Member

No report..............................................Not a good sign.

5. ValleyFlak

ValleyFlak Elite Refuge Member

I don't know how this turned out, but I'm gonna try this because that just plain looks good!:tu

6. duckblind

What do you think the meat was marinated in? I'm having a hard time finding away to hide the gamey tast for my wife. Looks good just wondering what was uses.

7. Mrs. Ripline

Mrs. Ripline Senior Refuge Member

Inquiring minds want to know? How did it turn out? ?Sure looked delicious.....yum

8. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Cooked with some pork/spices it makes good tamales..

9. ValleyFlak

ValleyFlak Elite Refuge Member

This is what I have done (Age the meat) to get rid of the "gamey" taste. Then you don't have to "hide" it anymore because the meat by itself will taste great ...

Revised / Refined instructions for dry aging duck breast in fridge...

How I Dry Age Duck Breast ...

1. I cut out breast meat preferrably the same day bird was shot (I've cut out meat on 2nd day too, occasionally on 3rd). Put meat in a large bowl with cool tap water and, while in the water, repeatedly squeeze the meat to get as much blood out of the meat (holding the duck breast in your hand like holding a sponge underwater and repeatedly, quickly, lightly squeezing it). Pour out bloody water, refill with tap water and repeatedly squeeze meat again (I do this bout three to four times). Blood removal is a critical step and each breast should be as light pink as possible; an indication that most of the blood is out.

2. Ommitted: No salt water soaking to remove blood. Salt water may hinder essential enzymes in meat from aging the meat.

3. Cut out bloody coagulated wounds in meat if present then rinse those areas with tap water.

4. Ommitted: No final rinse in ice water. The near freezing temperature of the ice water may hinder essential enzymes in meat from aging the meat...Don't know if this is true or not. It's just a precaution.

5. Pad dry each breast with napkins (I use the blue paper towel rolls from HomeDepot) and put duck breasts on cookie sheet (separate and spaced) then put in refridgerator.

6. About an hour later, use napkins to pad dry the upside of the meat, lift individual breast meat and dry bottom of meat as well as the cookie sheet. Replace each breast on cookie sheet.

7. Cover cookie sheet loosely with suran wrap leaving small ventilation gaps around the edges (how much ventilation varies with each refridgerator and how moist or dry you prefer). I don't like too much "jerkey looking" dryness around the edges but it still tastes the same either way and is a sure sign you are properly dry aging the meat, don't be scared! Every other day (or so) turn meat over and dry any blood drainage you see on the cookie sheet.

8. Cook meat on day 5 through day 8 (day 4 OK too) and you won't be able to taste the difference between a spoonie and a teal. Cook it like a round steak on a hot skillet with cooking oil, fast on both sides and not overcooked. Add a little salt and pepper. You won't believe how good it tastes. Or of course try your favorite recipe. Try this with ducks and geese.

I recommend cooking your first one like a round steak so that you can appreciate the good flavor of the duck by itself. Then the subsequent breasts, cook them with your other favorite recipes or experiement with recipes that other fuge members recommend. You might find yourself using less seasoning because now you want to taste the duck rather than covering it up! My hunting partner said he tried a snow goose aged for eight days and it tasted good too, his kids asked for seconds!

Also, be sure to gain points with the wife by unexpectedly cleaning out the fridge real nice so you have room up top for your cookie sheets full of duck meat. I use the top two levels so she doesn't even see the meat and no complaints so far!

From the thread... http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=884353

10. duckblind

ValleyFlak, Thank you for this tip:tu When season comes back in I am definatly going to try this.