Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Goose Movement Observations

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by slacktide, Jan 1, 2018.

1. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    With this extreme cold and full moon, I anticipate that the geese are not moving much until later in the day...flying from their roost to their feeding field in late afternoon and then spending the evening in the field.

Is this everyone's consensus? Or are the geese feeding earlier in the day?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Seems like geese are moving best mid day. Normal behavior when it’s this cold.

3. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Yesterday the moved the best from 2 to 3. When it gets cold they typically sit tight to reserve energy and Don't fly to far to feed.

4. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

Yes to mid-day. Also, as expected they aren't flying very far either. So if you don't have an open roost close, you will likely be looking at empty skies. With some exceptions of course.

Saw some brave souls out yesterday that I knew didn't have a snowballs chance in killing anything near me.

5. pat williams

pat williams Senior Refuge Member

hunted with a friend yesterday close to the bay front & geese flew from 10 til 4. we did well with them only using 4 dozen shells

6. WABBIT-SLAYER

WABBIT-SLAYER Senior Refuge Member

Yes. Geese in Rising Sun area of Cecil Co. are not moving until around 1:30 -2:00 PM and only flying until around 3:30-4:00 PM. Going straight from roosting areas to near-by feeding areas. Can't get them to come to the decoys.

7. Langford

Langford New Member

I am shocked that Rising Sun is still holding birds with these temperatures. I don't know how the geese are keeping farm ponds open with this extreme cold. Maybe they are coming off the Susquehanna.

8. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

when you have 300 to 400 geese on a pond they keep it open i seen a pond off biggs highway going into rising sun with open water

9. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Mid day and they are not going far.. Now Snows are all over the place I think that some of the Snows from NJ are flying over to MD and Delaware they are just all over the place and even mixing with Black geese.

10. bombman

bombman Senior Refuge Member

The geese on the shore (QA and Talbot Counties) hit the fields twice today. Started feeding in fields at 10am, went back to water, fed again in the afternoon. Glad we were in a field in the afternoon! Once they started flying, we (5 hunters) were done in two tolls, 10 mins. Got out of the field, in time for it to fill up. Tomorrow......

Doug

The Other David likes this.