Goose Neck Collars.. Must See!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by NWiowaCutinGreen, Sep 2, 2009.

1. NWiowaCutinGreen

NWiowaCutinGreen New Member

Hi Guys,

I recently moved to Arizona from Iowa within the last 7 months. I grew up hunting a lot of upland birds and migratory birds. I wanted to move to a different part of the country for a few years to try something new. I miss hunting greatly, and it's only 7 months so far. I will be back. But, the point of this post is that I was driving by some water holes down here in Arizona and noticed a neck collar on a goose. As the more driving I did, I noticed many neck collars. I bet I have seen over 50 since I have moved here. I have a picture here of what seemed to be a family of geese. Just a personal assumption. I got pretty close to these geese because they roost and spend most of their days on waters near parks. These geese are not all that shy of people. I did find out however they will his at you and raise their wings if you get to close. I took several pics, unfortunately with my camera phone, but you can at least get the idea here. There were a total of 9 birds in this group. All had neck collars and leg bands. All of the neck collars read C _ _ _, with a right leg band, and there was one neck collar that read B _ _ _ with a left leg band, if I remember correctly. I have always wanted to be able to chase after a flock with a neck collared goose, it is just hard to believe there are this many in Arizona? Give me some feed back guys... I'm just shocked right now.

[​IMG]

2. STINGER

STINGER Elite Refuge Member

A goose is a goose is a goose ................ nice find though ........... :tu

3. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

Arizona waterfowl biologist justifying his job?

4. Lujack

Lujack Elite Refuge Member

It is very commen all over the country for resident park geese to get collared. The biologist like to see the residents pick up and move, and they get more reports on a goose with a collar than they do with a band because they can be seen at distance. I'm willing to bet that the park you saw them in was where they were banded in the first place.

5. gasguzzeler

gasguzzeler Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>09/14/52 - 08/

They look like targets for guys driving around road hunting with rifles.

6. maxflight

maxflight Elite Refuge Member

They are not that unusual in Arizona, we used to see them all the time at McCormick Ranch Golf Club in Scottsdale, the geese would hang out between the 18th fairway and the lake near the driving range, it was like parting the Red Sea to drive thru them

7. Gaudi

Gaudi Elite Refuge Member

...... Pellet gun.........

8. Ilbucksndux

Ilbucksndux Elite Refuge Member

.......or some bread and a dip net.........

9. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

Go check out the infield at Turf Paradise...you will crap your pants at the amount of banded Geese out there :eek:

10. kc outdoorsman

kc outdoorsman Elite Refuge Member