Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Goose Opening Day

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by slacktide, Nov 19, 2017.

1. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    You wouldn't know it from this forum, but the goose season opened yesterday in Maryland.

I don't think that there were as many geese around as in years past, but even with the steady strong winds, the birds were cooperative.

No tailgate hero shots from me. but the highlight of the day was the performance from my girl Oyster as she retrieved the birds and scanned the skies![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Rudder

Rudder Senior Refuge Member

Lots of shooting down Oxford Neck. Multiple groups added up to non stop shooting for a couple hours. Scared geese bouncing around everywhere! That'll teach em

3. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

Limits, but it took all day in Roch Hall.

4. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

PB180690.JPG
    I had no geese visit my spread but a close by buddy got these!

5. chesapeakebill

chesapeakebill Senior Refuge Member

There were 5 of us.
    2 of our group limited out on field by 7:30. We moved there from the water and couldn't get them to commit.
    We went back to the water blind and limited out in about an hour.
    Great day but they don't always work like that.

6. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

got skunked on opening day. Lot's of shooting around us but nothing committed. had a visit from a local warden. Hats off to her as she did what she needed to do in terms of license and gun checks and was very courteous the entire time.

Did a solo hunt on Monday with my 11 month old pup and was rewarded with a

limit. not much flew but what did worked real nice.

IMG_3841.JPG

7. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Monday- we did well on the water. Not as many birds around as I had hoped (east of Easton area).

They responded well to calling, first 2-3 groups locked up and we'd lose them as soon as we stopped calling. Next group we called all the way to feet down.

8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Stop calling and they think somethings up. Why would birds calling on the water stop calling...somethings not right. Keep it up...lesson learned.

9. chesapeakebill

chesapeakebill Senior Refuge Member

Fowlwhacker. I am picking up a Chocolate lab pup on the Dec 16. She was born on Oct 24.
    I am looking forward to the day when we can do that. I hope it works out and I don't mess her up,LOL.
    She has the genes.

10. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on your new pup! Nothing like a pup except for all the trouble they get into when they are full of energy, teething and learning what they can and can't do.don't worry about messing her up. Just train, train, and train her on obedience and try to find a way to keep it fun for her in between the obedience and retrieves and be patient and firm. If she has the genes and drive she should do good. get them out in the field as much as possible as there is nothin like experience. I was bit upset with my pup for a moment today as much as I have force fetched her she didn't want to pick up a goose at first and return it to heel. I quickly told myself she is a pup and this is only her second hunt. we got home and worked on it and she did good.

Looking forward to getting after some ducks in the morning after the last two goose hunts. Birds flew pretty good today but didn't want to as good as I had hoped but all in all it was a good day in the field with the dogs and friends.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017