Goose (or duck) Gumbo - Excellent Eats!

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by bub, Oct 19, 2007.

1. bub

bub Refuge Member

Another recipe for you boys. I came up with this recipe by mixing and matching a few different ones I found online and in cookbooks, plus added my own changes here and there. I've made this a couple times now, it takes about an hour to prepare - but it is well worth it. I promise.

"Are You Sure There is Goose In There" Gumbo

2 large cans (12 cups) Low Sodium Chicken Broth
    2 medium sized red onions
    2 green peppers
    2 cups (4-5 stalks) celery
    5-6 cloves minced garlic (2 tablespoons)
    1 can of sliced okra (fresh would be better, but good luck finding it)
    1 pound of peeled, deveined shrimp
    1 pound andouille sausage
    4 goose breasts (2 geese)
    2 cups long grain white rice
    1 cup Franks Red Hot
    3 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
    1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
    20 shakes tabasco

Roux
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup olive oil

The day before you plan to have your gumbo - put goose breasts in crock pot and cover with large can of sauerkraut. Cook on low for 8-9 hours. Drain and discard kraut. Shred the meat and pour 1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot over meat - mix well and let sit overnight.

Sautee chopped onions, sliced peppers and celery, minced garlic and okra in large pan.
    In large stock pot, add
    - saut?ed vegetables
    - chicken broth
    - 1/2 cup Franks Red Hot
    - bay leaves
    Bring to a boil.

As the mixture is coming to a boil - heat 3/4 cup of olive oil in a frying pan. Once the oil begins to smoke, add flour bit by bit, being sure to stir constantly with a whisk or spoon. Continue to stir until the roux browns. Be careful not to burn it though. It should be a dark golden brown. Remove from heat, set aside.

Once your stock pot has reached a boil - add the roux spoonful by spoonful, stirring often, until it is fully dissolved. Add rice, goose and uncooked, thinly sliced andouille sausage and tabasco, cajun seasoning, seafood seasoning. Once mixture comes back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Bring gumbo back to a boil, stir frequently. Add thawed shrimp and seasoning to taste and be sure to remove bay leaves.

Serve with french bread and cold beer. Serve to a group of people or be prepared to either freeze some or eat it for a week straight.

2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

in a blind watching the specks and sprig work
    Very nice recipe. Mine is pretty similar. Have served it to "ewwww, I won't eat game" people a couple of times, and they didn't know it was in there:D

3. call4ducks

call4ducks Elite Refuge Member

well that sounds good, thanks for the post

4. jdgander

jdgander Refuge Member

:clapJust made this today and if you want feed a army this is the recipe. This is a awsome recipe everybody loved the taste.