Goose questions

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by mazenblue, Jan 8, 2017.

1. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I've been infected with the goose hunting virus. So I have a few questions about it, is their a huge difference between silos, full bodies and shells when making a spread. Being a beginner is it easier to learn on a flute or a short barrel call? I know it's kinda late to get in the game but the season here in Oregon runs till March. Any advice would be a huge help and give me a leg up for next season.

2. sno

sno Refuge Member

.welcome to the addiction
    I prefer full bodies Silos work Short barrels are good
    Learn to cluck and honk get out when you can
    Enjoy it Learn from every hunt

3. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

For decoys depends on what you can afford and space you have. I love fullbodies but keep them in a trailer for storage and to haul. I just started buying white rocks to build a run and gun spread plus add size to full-body spread.
    I just started with a short barrel call and have never pick up a flute because everyone I hunted with ran a non flute

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  4. calstefanko

calstefanko Senior Refuge Member

Fullbodies great decoy overall, get a mixture of sizes too helps with the realism, silos are great decoys, shell decoys are really good filler decoys and is a key to cold temperature goose hunting, short barrel call all day

5. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

Used an A50 Olt for years and worked great but when I got my first TG Super Mag, I never went back to the flute.

HONKSRWORKN likes this.
  6. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

This late in the season we don't call much ,if at all.My buddy went out Saturday and him and a friend don't know how too call and they had geese and ducks landing in the decoys,ended up with 6 geese and 14 dux,no calling

brentbullets likes this.
  7. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

As far as building a spread for goose hunting ... If you have a spot or access to good spots for yrs to come I wouldnt mess with buying cheap decoys or silos if you have the money and room buy all FB's DSD or Replica if you can afford them 1 dz Honkers and a couple dzn Lessors is about all you need , the more real your decoys are the easier it is to fool the birds and the fewer you need to work any size group of birds ... I only own 1 dz DSD Honkers and a dz Lessors , worked flocks of over 100 and typically only ran 18 , but many times when I hunted alone I only ran 8 with same results ... birds trying to land getting smoked ..... My best advise is .... if your hide is great , most any of the newer decoys on the market will do the rest for you on most geese the smart ones probably not , if you dont know how to call don't just flag em to get them to see your spread ... Tim Grounds has said he'd take a Flag over a call more often than not .... they can see a long ways , depending on wind they may not hear you calling .... Your Hide besides being where the birds are is the ultimate key to success .... I love my DSD decoys but , I killed plenty of geese over Higdons , GHG , Big foots and Flambeau shells over the years .... DSD's tend to always give you those feet in your face shots .....

marsh man dan likes this.
  8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

For decoys I would look at whatever you can buy used cheap,.. than grow from there.
    Your style of hunting and types of fields will dictate what you may really need.

I often hunt from a small pit. a handful or all of our DSD give us a style of shooting many goose hunters never experience. But I also own and use silos, LS and GHG sleepers and shells. Magnum Bigfoots, shells and use to own nearly every decent brand of goose decoy out there.

How many fields do you have access too? Light or heavy competition? Can you drive out on fields or will you hauling everything a long ways? ATV access? Hunting lots of geese or the same 300 birds a month at a time?
    Late season snow covered fields shells may be the best.
    Packing into heavy ground cover or small rivers, silos would shine.
    Educated birds, a premium full body,
    Hunting with buddies that move or cant hide you will need numbers, Sometimes if compeating with in sight of other spreads numbers can be more important.
    Hunting traffic ,multiple varieties can be important
    If you got $10,000 Buy three dozen DSD's and get a cheap lease, put in a pit and have some kid that can call and wants to hunt be your partner.

Just saw where you are from,.. will you be hunting the river? Pastures, the same fields? Duck combo hunts?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  9. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I mostly hunt pastures for goose. The local farmers has 5 fields that you can call and get access to, so pressure is heavy. The fields are also walk in only. My style is more of a run and gun, if I'm not on the X and can't pull the birds in. I'll move closer to where they want to be. I've mostly looked at silos based on weight and ease of set up.